jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Congress recess leaves 74,000 FAA workers without pay for 5 weeks

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

CNN) - The debt debate is over for now and Congress is in recess, but they've left business unfinished and failed to fund the FAA, forcing security personnel to work unpaid and leaving thousands without work.

About 4,000 workers are on furlough for the next five weeks because of the failure to act.

"This is a lose-lose-lose situation that can easily be solved if Congress gets back into town and does its job," President Barack Obama said.

In addition to the employees, another 70,000 construction workers are jobless after 200 airport construction projects have been stopped.

And the FAA said it is losing $25 million a day in tax money from the airlines.

"We don't want the agency worried about its paycheck, we want them worried about their mission," Michael Goldfarb, a former FAA Chief of Staff, said.
    read the rest
    http://www.wtol.com/story/15205847/cong … or-5-weeks

so Congress gets 26 week paid vacation each year and now they are going on a "recess" for 5 week.
    I am in the wrong field...the people need to wake up...this behavior on both sides the the aisle is unacceptable..our country is falling apart!

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

And, the s**t just keeps getting deeper. roll

3. Evan G Rogers profile image83
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

... and yet... those people haven't quit....

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You seem to think it is so easy to just leave a job and find another. It's not always that easy with bills, a family, a mortgage. People do get trapped in crummy jobs.

4. TMMason profile image75
    TMMasonposted 5 years ago

Especcially when that job is Union and you know the private sector doesn't get half the pay and benis as you do.

Who would walk away from a scam like a Union job for a real world job.

Huh!!! More Unions making money while the real American's make shit.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Jealousy is a terrible emotion

1. TMMason profile image75
      TMMasonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have been a member of a Union, and not a member of a Union... no jealousy here. I can assure you in most all cases I would rather be Union, pay and benis are so much better. And even when I wasn't Union, I sought to get on Union jobs to get the rate.

Just realistic.