My Favourite Church (Warning - Satire ahead. Unsafe for the Devout)

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

If you want a break from the mindless stuff dished out by the latest crop of knuckleheads who appear to be taking over the religious forums with reams of cut and pasted garbage, pay a visit to the Landover Baptist Church website.

It's religious parody at it's finest!

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

And if you are presently unsaved, their $439 certificate of Eternal  Security is a good deal. (but see small print about the $10,000 activation fee smile )
    http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0101 … ation.html

Cheers,
    Eric G.

WARNING: THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD SAYS UNSAFE FOR THE DEVOUT FOR A VERY GOOD REASON.

DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED, AND DON'T COME HERE COMPLAINING TO ME IF YOU ARE OFFENDED.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/2009/august/henrygateslarge.jpg

3. AsherKade profile image59
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

so it's like some regular somedy site under the veil of a church site, but not really a church?

http://imgcash3.imageshack.us/Himg194/scaled.php?server=194&filename=0811.gif&xsize=640&ysize=480

Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No Asher, It's not really a church.

And if you want to see some amazing stuff, go and read their letters page.
      They publish all the hate mail that they receive.

1. AsherKade profile image59
        AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know...it just seemed like a dumb waste of time , talent, or whatever...to expel energy on a hate site...guess I cling onto innocence despite my job...

I understand that the site makes a fortune  from merchandise, adsense, etc.

Dumb like a fox smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It made me laugh. Does that make it a waste of time? Or are you a "serious" writer and have no time for such things?

@ Eric - I am still laughing. Did you read the "Do pets go to heaven?" article?

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0106 … eaven.html

Yes, that's a classic. and there's loads more to keep you amused for ages.

The "Modern Cults" article at http://www.landoverbaptist.org/sermons/modern.html is pretty good too.

As is the send up of Amazon http://www.landoverbaptist.org/thelittlejew.htm

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Landover Baptist before.
            It puts the Fun into Fundamentalism.

Don't forget to check out the forums and merchandise too: The bumper stickers, t-shirts, etc. are brilliant.

@froggy: you'll also need a "What Would Jesus Do" thong.

1. frogdropping profile image77
              frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is more me:
              http://images2.cafepress.com/product/5194042v1_350x350_Front_Color-White.jpg
              Though I prefer a lot more material and a lot less string.

4. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

OMG, that website hurt my eyes. Couldn't stay on there for more than 2 seconds.

1. AsherKade profile image59
      AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol....I agree!

2. Eric Graudins profile image60

Why? It's no worse that any of the newspaper sites with loads of pictures, and links to various stories.

5. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Haha. Yeah I totally failed the "Bible Sex Quiz"

You need to study harder :0

1. Colebabie profile image61
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh I got the sex part down. Bible part... not so much.

6. AsherKade profile image59
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I guess I am talented...I have both down....
    big_smile

7. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

landoverbaptist.com

I remember that site!  It's brilliant satire actually.

8. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Well - I've had a shufty and a laugh. 'Tampons - Satans Little Fingers'. Brilliant.

It's not just full of satire, it's dripping down the screen as you read. If anyone doesn't 'get it' then ... smile

9. Eric Graudins profile image60

@Mark
    There's an associated site, www.Bettybowers.com
    Betty Bowers is America's Best Christian.

There's a part where you can send a good old fashioned christian rebuke to the godless. (I've sent you one smile )
    http://www.bettybowers.com/oprah.html

From the site:

New Age "Jesus is Love" Hallmark Greeting Card Christians make the real Jesus reach for His Vicodin! Now, you can let them know how irritating their Disneyfied Jesus is to the wrathful God depicted in the Bible. Send them an automated, head-spinning rebuke: the E-buke! Just press a button and Betty & Jesus do the rest!

You can send an E-buke from this page letting someone know they are a Fake Christian -- or CLICK HERE to send an E-buke to let someone know that Landover Baptist Salvation Evaluation Committee has determined that they are going straight to Hell. If you wish to be even more pointed in your righteous judgment, you can send them a notification that they are a FAKE CHRISTIAN and make Jesus vomit by CLICKING HERE. Truly, being self-righteous has never been so easy. Glory!

10. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

What the hell do I do now? I"m an unsaved Moron!

As an agent of the Rev. Deacon Fred, I can help you if you email me with your credit card number, expiry date, and the available balance.

We'll have you saved in no time smile

(And I suppose that I better put a disclaimer here to the tut-tut-tutters who will pop up and say that you should never email your credit card to anyone - especially me.)

DISCLAIMER:
      This is a joke. NEVER email your credit card details to anyone. But Earnest is a Victorian, and therefore pretty stupid, and he'll do so anyway)

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eric, so pleased you replied in time for me to be saved. I now see the truth in what you said about we Victorians! I got all the questions wrong, and was next in line for hell, damnation, contamination, vexation, constipation taxation, and eternal torture. I remain, fearfully yours,
        an ex non believer.

Thanks Earnest.

I've processed your payment for $13,428.87, and you can now consider yourself saved.

And when you add some more funds to your card, let me know.
          for another $100 I'll send you a little badge so that you can proudly display your new status to the rest of the world.

Yes please Eric! (can I still call you that?)I'm topping up ye carte as we speak. I am becoming less afraid by the minute!

Thank You.
              Given our new relationship, It will cost an extra $1,000 a month for you to continue calling me Eric.
              I call it a "Respect Offering". I've made the charge in anticpation of your agreement.

And I'm also thinking of starting a new Australian church:
              "The Church of the Holy Boomerang".

It will be the first truly honest church - we will proclaim right up front that we are bent.

Perhaps you can help me with the important initial planning, ie Membership fees.

Naturally I sold the car and made the extra payment Eric! Oh how I feel just saying that name!!!!!!!!!!!

Being almost a real Australian (Just the one head) I would enjoy being a part of any bent church, and declaring it upfront sounds so very Oz.
                I will get started on some fees and charges, as soon as I can.
                Again thank you for the opportunity to be saved.

ERIC, there! I said it again!

11. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

lol

And I am wondering why these people have not been smitten.

Eric - thanks for the rebuke, I am duly chastised. lol

You certainly have been.
      And your hubber score is going to go down. Way down.
      Look - It's already down to 99.

I'd forgotten about the good old rebuke. Might be an idea to drop bits of it into appropriate posts on the forum lol

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh Crap! Do you think if I start another thread asking what the issue is it will go back up? lol

Nah. The rebuking algorithm is much more powerful than the hubpages algorithm.

12. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I think you should begin with this impressive show to recruit new followers 4 your 'Bent Church'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryeDZVhEuAo

That video is a must for the true bent churcher!
      Tantrum, you are the bees knees of humor with ease!

13. tantrum profile image59

And this is you Children's Guide 2 religion . Amen!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wmP0tJUNOI

Now that, dear tantrum should be compulsory education! smile

14. tantrum profile image59

And now become a crazy preacher and you're done. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWPAjTE5zSU

Flabbergasted! Sin destroyed, by that lil ole holy ghost! I am now educated and ready to build the bloody bent church meself!!!!! No really!! smile smile smile smile

2. XTASIS profile image60
      XTASISposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

15. Eric Graudins profile image60

Wow. where do I get one of those
    white suits.

That first video was great, but I had plans for something with a bit more impact.

He was just pushing or flipping his coat at his flock to make them fall over.

I think that throwing hunting boomerangs at them would be a lot better, and also leave a blessed mark where the boomerang struck.

Now - where can I get a lot of people who can accurately throw boomerangs?

And Tantrum: Methinks  that I'm getting the flavour of someone else when I read your posts. I'll have to take more notice smile

16. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Eric, (Receipt for speaking your name No 001099)  can throw a boomerang better than most, and even have my own. I really like the thought of "wacking some sense in to them" that this implies.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But...does you boomerang come back?

Yes of course uninvited writer!
        Although, only on Tuesdays between 2 and 3pm.

17. Eric Graudins profile image60

Thanks Earnest.

You can be the Sergeant at Arms.
    (but if they've joined up under the sign of the Holy boomerang then by definition they're very smart, and don't need any sense wacked into them smile )

18. XTASIS profile image60
    XTASISposted 14 years ago

Can I join? I'm a boomerang myself smile

19. tantrum profile image59

When are you going to open the church ,Master ? This lady XTASIS  wants 2 join in big_smile  You'll lose your followers! I bet she isn't around any more sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)