jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Do Morals Determine Civility?

1. 0
    just_curiousposted 5 years ago

From Wikipedia:
    In its "descriptive" sense, morality refers to personal or cultural values, codes of conduct or social mores that distinguish between right and wrong in the human society. Describing morality in this way is not making a claim about what is objectively right or wrong, but only referring to what is considered right or wrong by an individual or some group of people (such as a religion). This sense of the term is addressed by descriptive ethics.

Having interacted on this forum for a few weeks now, I have been constantly amazed by the differences in the style of hubbers postings.  I realize we are from all over the world, and different cultures consider different things appropriate, but I am left to wonder if that is the answer to the question I am left with.

I ask, because we seem to be a strongly opinionated bunch and sometimes it appears to me that we go overboard in our dissent.

What do you consider to be civil behavior when disagreeing? Is this guided by your moral code, or by what you believe our society as a whole has deemed appropriate?

1. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It depends on your Situation ... Because, Morals and Civility are Situation- Relative Terms ...

Thus, when confronted by ignorants, it is most moral to be Silent,  its called, being situationally Civil. But when in company of the knowledgeable, you must say your say, and do the do-able ...

For to hide Truth, or not to do Good, when with those who can, or may understand, the Truth of your Intention ... is something grossly immoral.

2. 70
    paarsurreyposted 5 years ago

One could differ with others politely alright; but one should not resort to derision  and ridiucule of others; it would be against humanity and civility.

3. aka-dj profile image78
    aka-djposted 5 years ago

Most people know the Golden Rule, even if it's not known as that. Namely, treat others as you would have them treat you.
    Now, one calls it morals, another ethics another civilised and yet another common courtesy.

I don't think this is culturally based but an innate trait give to all mankind by our Creator. That's why, irrespective of what part of the world you live in, you will recognise contrary behaviour and also appreciate the display of such behaviour.

4. kess profile image61
    kessposted 5 years ago

the moral standard one sets for another is the same one he sets for himself.
    because his standard of morality is based only on his perception, his perception is based on the content of his own  heart.

so to give another freedom is to gain fredom for yourself.
    and to bind another is to also to bind yourself.

and it is by the ccontent of the heart one will stand or fall.

not any out standard.

so the wise on will make the inward  just as the outward.

1. 70
      paarsurreyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I appreciate your above words

5. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 5 years ago

To begin with the Bible has already prophesied what future mankind will be like.

(1 & 2-not exactly which one) Timothy 3

In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

It would appear that many people want to utilize their intellect as the standard for morality as well as right and wrong. We as people seem to want to base morality on our perception. This can be expected in many aspects of our life since no man is an island. There is however a denial as to a universal morality as well as universal right and wrong. The question becomes why universal right and wrong because that can only be the real basis for truth. If there is no universal right and wrong than truth is subjective. What would be a universal truth? "Do not lie, Do not steal, honor thy mother and thy father." More universal rights and wrongs can be found in the Ten Commandments of the Judeo-Christian Bible.

It is my personal opinion people's conduct is not governed so much by right and wrong as much as it is in their perception of what they believe to be right and wrong. Rarely do we see ourselves as being wrong.

1.2 Timothy 3:3
    without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good,