jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Altruism in the Nuclear Age

1. Quilligrapher profile image90
    Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago

In a spirit reminiscent of the kamikazes of WWII, more than 200 elderly Japanese have volunteered to clean up the Fukushima power station.  They claim they are just being practical. Yasuteru Yamada, a retired engineer, explains it this way,"I am 72 and on average I probably have 13 to 15 years left to live. Even if I were exposed to radiation, cancer could take 20 or 30 years or longer to develop. Therefore us older ones have less chance of getting cancer."

The government, however, is hesitant to let the volunteers into the radioactive power station. Yamada and the others have been lobbying for permission to help with the clean up. He says: "At this moment I can say that I am talking with many key government and Tepco people. But I am sorry I can't say any more at this moment. It is on the way but it is a very, very sensitive issue politically."

Should the government of Japan welcome and encourage their heroic offer?

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

And why exactly is this in a religion forum?

Q- there is such a thing as Education and Science- Philosophy category, which deals with nothing of religion.

Just a thought.

As for the OP- if people want to help clean up and have the experience to do so, then it would make sense to let them. wink

Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Casgil.  Good point.

As for the clean up, the experiencce of the volunteers is a minor consideration.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Given the risk I can see it being a job for volunteers.  Japan is one of those countries where you would get so many volunteers you would need some scheme to decide which ones to choose.

Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Excellant observation.

4. Beelzedad profile image61
    Beelzedadposted 5 years ago

Interesting altruistic behavior from a country in which almost 85% of the population has no personal religions. smile

1. 0
      Muldanianmanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But when people do not have a religious belief, they are more likely to take responsibility for their own actions, and have a greater understanding of the problems mankind is creating on this planet.  The religious are more likely to wait for their maker to step in to sort it all out for them.