Gamerelated profile image 84

Should Olympic athletes get paid?

The U.S. Olympic committee does pay athletes a bonus for earning medals, but they do not pay athletes to just participate. High profile athletes like NBA star Dwayne Wade have spoken out--suggesting that athletes should get paid. The International Olympic Committee makes millions of dollars from ticket sales and ad revenue. Should the Olympic Committee share some of that money with the athletes? What do you think?

e-five profile image95

e-five says

• Gamerelated profile image

Gamerelated 4 years ago

Thank you e-five, for taking the time to help answer this question. I did mention in the details of the question that the Olympic Committee pays bonuses for medals. I just wanted to know if people think that athletes should get paid to compete.

kalokairi profile image60

kalokairi says

• Gamerelated profile image

Gamerelated 4 years ago

Hello kalokairi, I am glad Greece helps their athletes. Thank you for giving us some international perspective on this question.

Rebecca2904 profile image79

Rebecca (Rebecca2904) says

• Gamerelated profile image

Gamerelated 4 years ago

I do see where you are coming from. Participating in the Olympics is about representing your country and yourself. It is about bringing people together in the spirit of international competition. Thanks Rebecca2904 for answering my question.

0

Garifalia says

• Gamerelated profile image

Gamerelated 4 years ago

Hello Garifalia, I think it is because the Olympics are commercial and makes so much money that some athletes think that they should get some of that money. As for sponsors, rule 40 says that the athletes cannot promote sponsors on Twitter.