jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

South Africa a Third World Country

1. mkhovu profile image60
    mkhovuposted 7 years ago

I wasn't too sure which forum to post this topic on as it covers so much.

Since the release of Nelson Mandela from prison and the inaugauration of a democratically elected president in that country, South Africa has hosted so many international events and is still proving its worth in the international community.

As the Confederation cup 2009 comes to an end, another sporting tournament held in the country is ending with a resounding Success.  The African community has united and held their head high just as they did when they hosted miss World recently on a short notice, the cricket World cup, The rugby World Cup, The world Class Boxing Events, just to name a few. Through all this the international community is still watching.

South Africa is now one of the top holiday and touring destinations.  To my knowledge, no African country is considered part of the first world countries. What really defines a first world country? Should South Africa be still considered a Third World Country?

2. fierycj profile image84
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

Based on your questions, you should have posted this in the Politics forum.

3. Miss M profile image59
    Miss Mposted 7 years ago

No, it should be a 2nd world or a 1st world counrty.

4. etb50 profile image80
    etb50posted 7 years ago

Having been to South Africa, i do not think it should be considered a first world country just yet, but it is definitely on its way, and is one of the most developed countries in Africa.
    there are certain large, very first world places in South Africa, such as Cape town, or Johannesburg. It is also very technologically advanced, and is advancing at a very fast pace. Things such as disease control, crime rates, and parts of the country that have not yet developed, are what is holding South Africa back from being called first world. But it is defiantly on the verge of becoming first world.