Carmelo Anthony Goes to New York!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Although they literally had to give up half their roster to get him, what are your thoughts on this?  Good move?  Bad move?  or what?

2. AskAshlie3433 profile image59
    AskAshlie3433posted 13 years ago

I like the move. They forget how good Billups is. I would put him right next to Felton, if not higher. He is older, but knowledge is power. I love what New York is doing. I see them making a run. They just need one more guy to step up and they still have a decent bench. Two thumbs up! Finally.

3. juice76 profile image61
    juice76posted 13 years ago

The trade is really good for the Knicks they got a top 5 player in Anthony along with a underrated guard in Billups. Even with the trade though they are nowhere near the elite teams in the east like Boston, Miami, and Atlanta but this trade wasn't made for this year it was made for next year and beyond. When they make the playoffs they are going to be a tough match up for anyone they play making them the one team you don't want to see in the first round.

4. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

I think the nuggets did well felton is better then billups today, they got gallanari who can shoot and chandler who isnt to far off of mello stat average wise. melo,amare, billups will play well together and it opens up more playing time for laundry fields whose coming into his own as a player!!!

5. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 13 years ago

Everywhere you go in NY today, the buzz is that this is quite a triumphant day for the Knicks, as tonight for the first time since 1975 when Walt Clyde Frazier and Earl the Pearl still shared the same backcourt i . . NY will have 2 of the leagues top 10 talents sharing the same bench . .the same locker room and hopefully the same floor!
    The 6'8 Brooklyn native won't be wearing No. 15, which he sported during his seven-year career in Denver and his college days at Syracuse University (or No. 30, which was also rumored in recent days). He'll be No. 7.

Starting tonight New York just might be a basketball town again!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4669264_f248.jpg

6. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I just get the feeling the Knicks gave up too much for him. Does this move make them contenders right now? I'm really not sure. Does it make them better for the future? Almost certainly not, unless having two stars will help them bring in more players to compliment them. Every metric I've seen has Carmelo as an overrated player (a top 25 guy, but not a top 10 guy). I guess we'll have to wait and see how this works out.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have to say that i agree with you a 100 percent.  Plus, the Knicks don't play any defense, as their Coach D' Antoni doesn't preach it.  If anything, he likes to coach a high octane up tempo offensive team like he did when he coached the Suns a while back.  Don't get me wrong, it works fairly well, as it makes it impossible for most teams to stop it, but you need a great passing point guard to run the offense.  No offense to Billups, who's a great half court point guard, but if you look at his stats, he's never been known to be a 10 plus assists per game player; which is something the knicks needed to run that offense.  Felton was slowly showing promise of becoming that type of point guard this year, and probably would've been if they had kept him, as he has a lot of potential.  Whereas Billups, he's not going to get better than he already is, as he's almost past his prime.  Therefore, I don't know if i agree with this trade.  if they had managed to keep felton, then I would be excited for it but since they had to give him up too, then I just don't see this working out in the long run.  they'll definitely be a great team to watch, but they'll never win a title unless they can attract a big name point guard because Billups isn't going to be able to run that offense.  and believe me, I agree with everyone that says he under rated, but he's not a great passing point guard.

2. wavegirl22 profile image48
      wavegirl22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

DB - Im right there on the sidelines with you  . waiting and watching. Would be nice to once again see the Garden come alive again in this lifetime.

Honestly until Dolan is out I am afraid the Garden might continue on the path they have taken since he got into his office ..

but a girl can hope . .

cant she?

1. profile image0

I'll say.  It's bad enough that moron Dolan is owner of the Knicks still, whats even worse is that he still insists on having ties with Isiah Thomas.  The man who almost ruined the Knicks.  I sometimes wish I had a boss like Dolan, then I could literally be as big of a screw up as I want, and I know he'd never fire me.  And if he did, he'd hire me as a consultant. 

Did you know that allegedly the Knicks President Walsh, originally was trying to trade for Melo for next to nothing, and he almost did because as long as Melo refused to sign a contract extension with any other team than the knicks then the nuggets wouldn't have a choice.  However, according to ESPN, Dolan got impatient and him and Isiah took over the deal; resulting in them trading half their roster.  Gee, what a way to undermine your President like that.  roll

1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
          I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, the Dolan/Thomas situation is just... wow. Did you see the press conference he gave yesterday to deny that Isiah Thomas had anything to do with this deal, while at the same time noting that Thomas was a close personal friend? How bad is Isiah Thomas' reputation that the Knicks have to tell the press he wasn't involved each time they make a deal, even before anyone knows if the deal turns out to be good or bad?

On a side note, Melo looked good at the end of last night's game. I was a little concerned because he was shaky for most of the game. I thought for sure the Knicks were going to blow it when Anthony went to the bench after collecting his 3rd and 4th fouls in a span of about 5 seconds.

1. profile image0

No, i didn't see last night's game unfortunately, but it's good to hear that he he had a great opening night.  i still stand by what I said though.  they still need a great passing point guard to run that offense, and it kind of seems like they automatically expect Derron Williams and Chris Paul to still be interested in their team after they become free agents in 2012.  However, a lot of things can still happen, and I don't really trust Amare's knees.  He's had a history of injury problems mainly involving having surgery on both knees, if I'm not mistaken, so there's no real guarantee he's going to be healthy by the time free agency hits again in 2012.  Therefore, if I was Derron Williams and Chris Paul, I wouldn't sign with the Knicks if Amare knees blow out before then.

7. the50marathons17 profile image83
    the50marathons17posted 13 years ago

Seriously when was the last time that New York Knicks had two superstars (Amare and 'melo)? I don't think I was born yet! I am thinking back to the Patrick Ewing days.

8. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Carmelo who?

Nets have acquired Deron Williams,,

9. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Watch out Miami. smile

10. AskAshlie3433 profile image59
    AskAshlie3433posted 13 years ago

I say they made the right move. They can bring another big time player in during the 2012 season. Chris Paul or Dwight Howard would be perfect. They could get them both.

11. LakeShow T profile image75
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

Sure, Carmelo is heralded as one of the best players in the league, but I still think the Knicks gave up too much in this situation. The Nuggets had no leverage in the deal and still walked away with half of the Knicks team. Not to mention the fact that Felton, Chandler, and Gallinari are good young players. Gallinari and Chandler have a ton of upside.

In the end Melo got what he wanted. He wanted to go to the Knicks all along and he wanted to do it before the end of the season so that he could sign a max contract extension before the new collective bargaining agreement, which would have likely cost him possibly $10 million had he not get dealt to the Knicks before the deadline. One could say he had his cake and ate it too.

The Knicks did not need to make this deal though because Melo wanted to go there anyways after the season when he became a free agent. The Knicks were afraid that if they did not get this deal done that they would have had a chance of losing him. Although the Knicks fans would have gone crazy about losing Melo, it would be in all liklihood that that Knicks would be able to land either Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, or Deron Williams in a year or two anyways.

Now they have Melo and Amare. Don't get me wrong, Billups is huge but this is all about Melo and Amare. Two of the most offensive-minded players in the NBA. I'm not sure they will mesh all that well. I think Chris Paul or Deron Williams would have been better for the Knicks. As it is, I don't think Melo or Amare care at all about defense and they are going to have an exciting team, but you need defense to ultimately win. They lost some of their best defensive players in that deal.

Also, with a new collective bargaining agreement coming after the season, I am not sure the Knicks will have the ability to build their own Super team by adding another max contract player. Those days in the NBA of the Super Teams could be over after this new CBA. We'll see.

12. nickshamrock profile image59
    nickshamrockposted 13 years ago

I'm from Cleveland and still bitter about LeBron. I'll leave it at that sad

13. LakeShow T profile image75
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

You have to give credit to Denver though. They learned from the tough lesson that the Cavs endured in losing LeBron for basically nothing. The Nuggets could have taken their chances and not traded Melo by the deadline. I think there is a decent chance Melo would have signed an extension with them, if he was ultimately all about the money.

I think Melo did better by the Nuggets for at least indicating he wanted to go to the Knicks. LeBron gave no such indication he was going to leave Cleveland. As a result, the Nuggets got the nice deal they did for Melo, while the Cavs got nothing other than a record that currently has them with 10 wins and the worst record in the league. I think this is why a lot of people have a problem with how LeBron hung Cleveland out to dry.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)