jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Mark Jackson new Warriors Head Coach

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 5 years ago

He played a long time - 17 yrs, he's been an announcer on TV, but I haven't heard of him coaching at all.  Seems like an odd pick for a team that says they want to win.  It feels more like a team looking for publicity.  Jackson is very recognizable since he's been a tv commentator.

As for the style of play he'll bring to the Warriors, I have to think it will be a more half court game.  That's how he played.

1. Greek One profile image81
      Greek Oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Mr. Edmondson, I have to say that it worries me greatly that the man leading the organization/website through which I intend to make my retirement income, is a Golden State Warrior fan.

2. Stevennix2001 profile image82
      Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey, Larry Bird didn't have any coaching experience either when he briefly coached the Pacers, and look how that turned out.  He got them to the finals in his 2nd year, I believe, so i'm sure Mark Jackson can do the same, as he's fairly knowledgeable about basketball.

Plus, he can invoke his famous catch phrase with his own players:  "Great defense...meets better offense"

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 5 years ago

Actually, I'm a Laker fan and hold your breath, a Duke fan.  But, I do live in the Bay area and  have become more of a Warriors fan.  I'm not convinced on the hire, but I do like that they brought in Jerry West.

3. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

wow west went with jackson instead of shaw thats a shocker. It will be inteterstin to see how he works with steff curry since he played with his dad at 1 point.

4. LakeShow T profile image81
    LakeShow Tposted 5 years ago

I think it was worth a shot for the Warriors. Someone was going to take a chance on Jackson at some point because he has a good basketball mind. The Warriors only invested around $6 million on the deal. I do think it's interesting the Warriors first options reportedly were big-named experienced coaches like Sloan, Van Gundy, and Mike Brown but then they went in an entirely different direction once the previously mentioned coaches were not interested. The big-named coaches would have cost them much more.

I think Jackson could be good with Steph Curry and Monta Ellis, although there is a rumor the Warriors could trade Monta Ellis, possibly for Andre Iguodala.

I also heard Jackson added Michael Malone to his staff. Malone has a great track record as a defensive guru. The Lakers were actually after Malone, so it's funny he was more interested in the Warriors. He'll have his work cut out for him with one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

All together, I think the Warriors have a good outlook. They have a talented team.

5. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

i hope the ellis trade is just a rumar cuz the trade hurts the warriors because andre is older then ellis and chemistry would suffer.andres still good but i wouldnt make the trade