jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

The NFL Remembers 9/11

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 5 years ago

The first Sunday of the NFL regular season falls on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and so to remember this tragic day, the NFL announced  that all the games and broadcasts will recognize the 10th anniversary of 9/11 with synchronized pre-game salutes before all of its afternoon games. The football league will unite fans to recognize those who lost their lives, honor the families who lost loved ones, and salute the American spirit, the early responders on 9/11, and other heroes that contributed to the nations recovery.

All the games of the day will feature a video introduction followed by performances of Taps from near the sites of the attacks, and moments of silence. This marks the second time a 9/11 anniversary has fallen on the first Sunday of the NFL season since 2001. In 2005, the fourth anniversary of 9/11 also was on a Sunday.

NFL team coaches and the players will join local first responders in holding out a field-length American flag for the playing of the National Anthem before each game. All team members including the teams sideline personel will wear a special NFL 9/11 ribbon and all stadiums hosting games on September 11 will feature the ribbon logo on the field.

Sunday Night Football will showcase the Dallas Cowboys being hosted by New York Jets at MetLife Stadium and will feature additional special pre-game and halftime presentations.

The official NFL 9/11 ribbon logo

1. jimmythejock profile image83
      jimmythejockposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A fitting tribute to a tragic day in world history.....jimmy

2. 60
    Timmy Hposted 5 years ago

Can you imagine the PR nightmare if they were still locked out? That was one of the reasons I knew we'd have football. Let's see how long this perspective lasts.

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
      wavegirl22posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Watching the New Orleans Saints playing the Packers right now .. and the Mayor of New York has broken into the game with a Special Report - Terror Threat.
      The game is still going on but there is a box in the upper right corner. .with this news update . .

Any other program they would have interrupted.. but the NFL makes too much money . they even made the President speak early so not to disturb the game. .

I just find it all so interesting. . .whatever it is. . the tributes on Sunday will be heart wrenching I am sure. ..

Only in the NFL folks . .where anything can happen!

1. 60
        Timmy Hposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My nephew and I have a saying. You can't beat the NFL. They are all powerful and all mighty. Good luck to the Jets Sunday. I would give you my pick, but let's just say I'm terrible at picking Jets games.