Top 7 tips on: How to choose the right swimsuit?
Apples and pears
Summer is truly here, so it is time to get your swimsuit out from its drawer!
For most women this is the most shocking time of the whole year as they learn whether they really put on some weight since last summer or not. But even if they did not, the swimsuit can still look awkward if the wrong one was bought years ago.
In the following you can find some tips on how to choose the right swimsuit to see that reflection in the mirror you really want to see.
Pear or apple shape? It does not matter! Keep on reading to get to know: How to choose the ideal swimsuit for your type!
1) Get to know your body shape
First of all the most important thing is to get to know your real body shape. This means you look into the mirror and decide where you naturally distribute weight on yourself, so you can decide which swimsuits will look the best on you. Usually, the most common body shapes are:
- Apple (or round) shape: when the hips, the waist and the bust are nearly the same width.
- Pear (or triangle) shape: when the hips are noticeably wider than the waist or the bust.
- Inverted triangle shape: when the bust and the shoulders are noticeably wider than the waist and the hips.
- Hourglass shape: when the bust and the hips are almost about the same width, but the waist is noticeably smaller.
- Straight (or rectangle or banana) shape: when there is no noticeable difference between the width of the hips, the waist and the bust.
2) Choosing the correct fit in general
Now that you know your body shape, you can begin to think about the correct fit of swimsuit in general and about where/how would you use it the most. Never choose a bikini in case you want to use it when you go surfing as it will surely fall off of you with a bigger wave.
- High-cut bottoms: these can make your legs much longer (ideal for short people – good fit for straight shape).
- Boyshorts: these will make the hips look wider, draw attention from the bust (ideal for people with big breasts – good fit for inverted triangle and hourglass shape).
- Triangle/tie-front and halter bikini tops: draw attention to the bust (ideal for people with smaller breasts or who want to draw attention there (– good fit for pear and hourglass shape).
- Strapless bikini tops: these will make the bust seem wider (– good fit for pear and straight shape).
- Underwired bikini tops: these will provide a better support for the breasts (- good fit for apple and inverted triangle shape).
Ideally the bikini should exactly fit your body, if your bust is almost popping out of the bikini top, then you should reconsider the bikini you chose.
3) Choosing the correct cup size
Start by measuring your bust and then choose the bikini top according to what you have measured. Support is very important; you should feel comfortable in your bikini at all times.
If u feel like your breast is popping out on the top then you must have chosen the wrong cup size.
4) Choosing the correct band size
If the band around your body or the one in between the breasts is not fitting correctly, reconsider the top you choose. It must not be too tight or too loose either.
5) Choosing the correct type of bikini
Strapless bikini tops are the best fit for women with small bust, so make sure you do not choose this type if you feel like your breasts will pop out. Try jumping a bit in your bikini to see if this is the case or it really does provide enough support for your type.
Also, if you have a small bust feel free to choose a bikini top with colourful patterns, beading or ruffles as this will give a nice optical ‘illusion’ of bigger breasts.
6) Choosing the correct bottom size
When buying a swimsuit you must also choose your bottom wisely. An incorrect size will make your hips wider or can also suggest that you have a lot of extra weight on yourself.
7) Choosing the right colour
Last but not least it is very important to choose the right colour that goes best with your skin tone and body shape.
- Pale skin: avoid pale (like yellow or any pastel) colours, but choose lively (gold, orange, green) colours and patterns.
- Rosy skin: avoid white, orange or black but choose soft colours like blue, lavender or pink.
- Dark/brown skin: avoid brown, beige or gold, as well as earth-tones, but choose black, red, white or other hot colours.
In addition, choose bright colours to highlight something you like on yourself and use solid colours without any pattern to hide something.
- Always try up the swimsuit you are about to buy so you know how it feels and looks on you exactly!
- Ask someone you trust to help you decide which one is the best swimsuit for you. More eyes can see more!
- Don’t be afraid to buy separates if one part of the swimsuit does not match you perfectly!
Video on the topic
Swimsuits on Amazon
Share your ideas!
Please feel free to comment on this hub, your feedback is very much appreciated!
Or, if you feel that you can write fresh, new ideas about this or a similar topic, just join our community and start writing!
© Copyright 2012-2014, Zsofia Koszegi-Nagy (zsobig)
My latest works on HubPages
- 8 Tips on How to have a stress-free and workless holiday
This article tries to summarise all the best ideas, tips and tricks you should carry out in order to have a real stress-free, workless and trouble-free holiday - either alone or with your family.
- Tips and tricks on How to create an online dating profile
In this article you can find tons of useful information and advice on how to create the perfect online dating profile for yourself - to be able to stand out from the crowd successfully! With pictures and examples!
- 108 interesting facts, tips and statistics about online dating
Everyone is familiar with the term 'Online dating' and everyone has at least one story to tell in this topic - no matter whether it had happened to them or their friends. Here you can find some interesting info about online dating - a list of 108 poi
- Top 10 tips and advices for a healthy relationship akak What Women Want?
Men always have difficulties understanding women. There you can find a few tips on how to maintain a healthy relationship - Tips for men. What women want?
- Top 10 countries on the world you should see in your lifetime
Have you ever thought about which country should you visit next? Here are some lovely tips for you about the best places and attractions of the world!
© 2012 Sophie
More by this Author
Have you ever heard of 'The Complete Idiot's Guides or the 'for Dummies' series? Of course you did. But have you ever thought about, which books are the better? Here are some ideas!
Have you ever had difficulties with decorating the Christmas tree? Did you feel that you are lost between all the baubles, ribbons and lights? If you did, here is a step-by-step guide on how to decorate the perfect...
Everyone is familiar with the term 'Online dating' and everyone has at least one story to tell in this topic - no matter whether it had happened to them or their friends. Here you can find some interesting info about...