How to keep your password safe online
Passwords are the secret key which is used to protect the valuable personal information that is stored in our computer and in our online accounts. Password is like a key to your digital life. At this point in time, we are constantly using sensitive data for e-commerce and the issue of protecting one's password has become an issue of paramount importance. It is not difficult to create strong passwords and keep them safe. These points might help you. Keep on reading.
- Never share your password with anyone.
- Always use passwords that are difficult to guess and easy to remember.
- Never write down your password.
- Just like your underwear, you have to change your password regularly.
- Never select “Remember me” options provided with the browser, messenger etc especially if you are not using your own computer.
Tips to keep your password safe
- Never tell or share your password with anyone.
- Never write your password on paper or share it on email, chat or telephone call.
- Change password regularly.
- Avoid typing passwords in front of others as far as possible.
- Use different password for different login.
- Never reuse your old password and don't use the same password on multiple websites.
How to choose strong password
- Should not be any dictionary words.
- Must be a minimum of 8 characters long.
- Should contain both upper and lowercase characters from a-z and A-Z.
- Should have combination of alphabets, numbers and characters like G!rLB0yS
- Should be easy to remember but hard to guess.
How does websites store your password
- Share a password with family members.
- Talk about a password in front of others.
- Reveal a password in an email message.
- Tell a password over the phone to anyone.
- Reveal a password on questionnaires or forum or blogs.
- Use your login name in any form for password creation.
- Use “remember password” features of application.
- Use password with some non alphabetic characters like numbers and symbols.
- Use a password that you can type quickly without having to look at the keyboard. This makes it harder for someone to steal your password by watching over your shoulder.
You can check your Google password strength here
You will see a number and its significance are
1 – The Least Secure
4 – The Most Secure
Another tool to check your password strength Password Strength Checker
Want to check how long it will take to hack your password by brute force?
Here is another tool which will tell you exactly how long it will take to crack your password by using brute force method. Just type your password on the field and you will see the time required. https://howsecureismypassword.net/
What is brute force attack?
A brute-force attack is used when it is not possible to take advantage of other flaws in an encryption system. This process involves the checking of all possible passwords until the correct one is found. This process is one hell of a long process and to make things easier, attackers use dictionary words first to check if you password is from there. If you use dictionary words, then the chances are that the attacker will find your password sooner or later. So, all tips involving password safety recommends you not to use dictionary word as passwords.
Generating random password
If you want to use randomly generated passwords, there are various tools available for this specific purpose. http://passwordsgenerator.net/ is one of the tool I use often to generate random passwords. I find this tool very nice and simple to use.
This site will not only generate password for you but it will also give you a hint on how to remember your password. For example, if your password is a4?J$H<- you can remember it by learning this phrase generated by the site apple 4 ? JACK $ HULU < -
Top 20 worse password to use
If you are using any of the samples given below as your password, stop reading this post and change your password immediately. I mean right now, don't even wait for a second. You are using the worse possible password
No comments yet.