Question about SheToldMe scoops

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

Has anyone noticed that even though it says that descriptions must be a minimum of 200 words for shetoldme scoops, it accepts scoops with less?

Has it always been minimum 200 words?  If it accepts less, is there any reason NOT to submit a scoop with less?  It's difficult to come up with 200 words without just copying your hub's content, which I never do.

Additionally, are links from shetoldme "dofollow" because they don't appear to me to be?

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I dont think James set the 200 characters as an arbitrary number, its probably based on research into minimum content for good search placement and a desire to stick within adsense TOS, which has restrictions about what types of pages can have adsense on them.

LOL, it is characters! between 200-5000

2. dbonchabo profile image60
      dbonchaboposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think they are dofollow another site i found functioning the same is Mashbite. This site give you 80% revenue on ads placed on your content and gives you 15% for referrals

3. dbonchabo profile image60
      dbonchaboposted 13 years agoin reply to this

not exactly. If it was that less that 200 characters we could be getting a warning or something like on farkool

2. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

It's 200 characters, not 200 words!

Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ha!Ha!  My bad - I can't believe I missed that!  LOL!

Sunforged - still there?  Do you know if shetoldme scoops are "dofollow" because they don't appear to be - when I check the page source on my scoops I find "nofollow" in there!

there is a difference between "archived" and "upcoming".. ill take a peek

2. fishtiger58 profile image67
      fishtiger58posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ya that one got me when I first joined. Had to reread it then I got it duh.

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

i guess its "archived" and "queued" and I dont see that either the site url or scooped url is nofollow, just the similar stories links on the bottom

Ok, since I just learned about this, maybe I'm doing it wrong.  I right-clicked on the page that contains my scoop and clicked "page source."  Then I did ctrl F and typed in both 'dof' and 'nof' and only 'nof' returned "nofollow" - 'dof' returned no results.

Is what I'm doing wrong?  Should I be right-clicking on the link itself?

4. Lily Rose profile image86

Mine all say either "archived" or "promoted", and "queued" for the ones I just submitted.  All of them are "nofollow."  Was this addressed in another thread?

1. Jane@CM profile image62
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lily, some of mine have been queued for up to two weeks!  That is why I'm not using it for back links.  I haven't received any traffic form there either and I've linked about 5 articles, but got dismayed when they sit in queue for so long.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I get about 40 page views a day from SheToldMe, from 150+ scoops, but I do make about $5 per week in Adsense revenue. I dont scoop for either traffic or money though, I scoop for dofollow backlinks.

1. Jane@CM profile image62
          Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But they are not dofollow until they come out of the queue.  That is what frustrates me the most.

1. profile image0
            ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eventually they all come out of the queue, to the Archive, so all scoops will eventually become dofollow. Promoted scoops will get you some half decent frontpage traffic, but will inevitably end up in the Archive too. It only needs to score 4 to be promoted, you can vote your own scoop up (thats 2 points) and you can vote your own scoop up again from a second account (thats 4 points), problem solved wink

2. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

'k, this is weird. mine never get promoted, just queued, but i get tons of traffic from shetoldme. and none from snipsly. neutral

5. sunforged profile image70

I dont see what you are seeing.

Try:

http://www.google.com/search?q=seo+for+ … =firefox-a

either SEO for Firefox or SEO Quake

the nofollow attribute is to the "stories similar to" links

the "queued" doesnt mean it isnt published or even indexed, it just hasnt had an opportunity to be "front page"

search the URL for your old "queued links" you will still find them in google

If you want to search the page source using caret browsing (f3) , you can find the rel=nofollow attribute..you wont find "dofollow" as all links are dofollow by default, the attribute is not required to be added

Ok, I'm very confused.  For starters, I don't use Firefox, I use IE.  I'm not sure how to tell if the scoops are dofollow.  I guess I'm doing it wrong.  Perhaps I should just stop worrying about it.

What does chitika entail?  Can you just sign up and then place your id# at shetoldme and do nothing else?

6. sunforged profile image70

i may have missed something though as i am in a rush ...etsy sales are good! must get to PO, will check back and see if this is sorted out, or if i need to learn more about this shetoldme format.

No one mentions chitika! great earner on shetoldme, better than adsense for me

7. Lily Rose profile image86

Per James at SheToldMe, all links there should be dofollow - I just got an email from him.

I'm still uncertain how exactly to tell (in IE), but perhaps I'll stop worrying about it and take his word for it.

8. Lily Rose profile image86

That's weird, I KNOW this is not the topic under which I first posted this thread.  Something screwy happened to the forums earlier and I guess this thread was affected - it's location anyway.

could have been flagged, I ALWAYS flag the threads that shouldnt be in the Need Help or Knowledge Exchange forums...they just get moved, not deleted.

If this was in either, someone else may have flagged, as shetoldme, although we all use as a ancillary site, it is not hubpages and is not an officially supported site.

WOW, you really really should not be using IE, your missing out on so much!

..between JAmes and our comments seems you have the dofollow/nofollow figured out..thats another credit to james, speedy CS once again!

yes chitika, used in conjunction with shetoldme only needs to have your chitika user name added

9. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Don't search for Do Follow, there is no link attribute called do follow.  Do follow is only a name given to links which DO NOT have the no-follow attribute!

I haven't tried shetoldme.com yet, might have to give it a shot though.

OH!  I didn't realize that - thanks!  Unfortunately, I am finding the "nofollow" in the code, but I still don't know if I'm doing it right.

your finding the nofollow attached to the "similar links to" area of the page

AHA - I think I finally understand!  Thanks, Sunforged - I can always count on you!

So what exactly am I missing out on by not having Firefox?

Tell you what - I'm hating IE right now because it won't let me go "back" - I click the back arrow and nothing happens!  Thais is the second time this week that this has happened and I have to restart the computer to get it working right again - not good!

ten minutes time will change your future browsing history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dWg9fv7 … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-U-oP-k … re=related

I made those videos, there is no advertising or offers on the page..they were used in conjunction with some old hubs

SEO tools are not referenced..but they are my biggest tools nowadays..IE has no benefits, I bet Bill gates uses Firefox

Thanks, Sunforged - it'll have to wait until the morning because it's time to put the kids to bed (late tonight because i couldn't get off here!) then relax, but I will definitely check out your videos.

BTW, did you see my post in the Xomba thread?  I emailed them and got this response:

"All links on Xomba are made nofollow. The reason for this is so that we can ensure that no one posts links to malicious sites that would hurt the search engine rankings for everyone who uses Xomba. Thank you for your concern and if you have any more questions please let me know."

Interesting, huh?

no, not interesting! annoying, they are dofollow at first, at what point do they change them..why is their CS so bad? , I would actually care if it wasnt for the fact that Im making really good returns from my limited involvement there. But, i will have to add that info to my hub.

Agreed.  I responded to him asking why malicious links wouldn't also be bad for the site if it was dofollow - why does it make a difference?  I haven't received a response yet.  I'll post it here if I do.  Yeah, I'm getting good adsense from my blurbs there, too, so I don't think I'll be pulling out just yet.

10. sunforged profile image70

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)