Computer turns off automatically

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Cleanclover profile image42
    Cleancloverposted 13 years ago

I have 2 laptops (32 and 64 bit) and 1 computer with windows 7 on them. All three are connected through one spike controller and and stabilizer.
    Now since last few days the computer shuts-down automatically when i turn it on. First i thought it was power problem so i removed the laptop connections and gave the computer complete power however the problem persisted.
    Then I considered checking the system files but the computer turns off before i can do that.
    Since last few days i heard some weird noise coming from the hard disk and i think the hard disk is expiring. The computer always shuts down when the hard disk activity is going on.
    So i would like to know what are the signs and signals to look for an expiring hard disk? And are my assumptions right? I love to solve problems before getting professional help so i am asking you people so i can solve this on my own :-)))

Thank you!

1. profile image0
      ankigarg87posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is some problem in your RAM .

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.

2. profile image53
      Eudorawhiteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To fix this problem, you should download a software program called a registry cleaner . This is a tool that scans through your computer and fixes and of the damaged or corrupted settings that can make Windows crash. In order to use one of these tools, you should download one from the Internet, install it and then let it scan your PC. It will fix any error that it finds, which should boost your PC's speed and stop the crashes from occurring. This  valuable choice is certain to avoid a freezing computer for a couple of minutes. It is the best and effective way.

1. sasta10 profile image61
        sasta10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

How can you install this if the computer turns off, it's not possible is it.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Sounds like a broken hard drive to me. Better think of replacing that and then data recovery. Booting into Windows may cause irretrievable loss of data.

3. A la carte profile image59
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

I agree with Website Examiner and would make an urgent point of backing up if you still can.

4. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

It's all over rover. You have a damaged hard drive and unless you have a boot disk with the capacity to see and fix your mbr you are in big doodoo.

Go to snapfiles  and get yourself a repair kit if you want to try rebooting the drive to get data off it.

5. Cleanclover profile image42
    Cleancloverposted 13 years ago

Thank you all for your feedbacks. I am going to open up the CPU myself and check the connections inside. I suspect some loose connections there.

Thank you all again :-)

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

If you can hear the whirring and clicking (weird noises) as stated earlier it is indeed, "all over, rover"

lol , at the RAM statement , in a sardonic dont understand your propensity for poorly stated bad advice type of way (this statement will not translate well)

7. tonybaldwin profile image61
    tonybaldwinposted 12 years ago

It's an energy-saving feature. 

Learn to love it.

tongue

8. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 12 years ago

Yes, it could be the hard drive, if it sounds like it's spinning much faster than usual.  It could also be the power supply, depending on how far you get while booting up.  However, I would remove the old hard drive, and install a new one, format it, and re-load a clean version of Windows.

Once that's up and working, you can try installing the old hard drive as a second drive, and see if it spins correctly, and the old partitions show up.  You may still be able to recover some of the old data.  Good luck.

9. transinata profile image61
    transinataposted 12 years ago

sometimes I open up everything and clear the dust on the main board surface and other modular part. and this can solve every hardware problem.

10. markhubpages profile image41
    markhubpagesposted 12 years ago

CleanClover here is the list based on my experience on the possible problems of your computer system

1. Hard Disk Failure - of course if there is something weird noise coming from the hard disk. 80% probability that it could fail not too long.

2. Virus - Viruses could be programmed to for the computer to shutdown, restart, manipulate files and folders, consume 100% of the processor, memory, and HARD DISK.

3. Corrupted Operating System - there are times that the operating system could be corrupted because of incomplete or not proper installing all its components.

That's is why the word "TROUBLESHOOTING" came out especially on computers. Try to make some troubleshooting, Test the Hard Disk, Scan for VIRUSES, or Try reinstalling the operating system. I'm sure you will figure out the problem.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)