What is your favorite programming language?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (30 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I personally enjoy writing in Ruby, but I also enjoy Perl. I have tried Python, but only a little but of it so I can't really say whether or not I like it.

I had to translate a PHP script into Ruby so I had to learn enough PHP to understand what the script did. From what I learned, I didn't really care for it, but I think that's a hasty thought as I really learned what I needed to figure out what the script did.

What are your favorite programming languages? Which are ones you don't particularly care for?

1. Abdul Muqeet Khan profile image41
      Abdul Muqeet Khanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

C++  that the language i love the most

2. shwetha123 profile image60
      shwetha123posted 12 years agoin reply to this

C++ and visual basic

3. nifwlseirff profile image93
      nifwlseirffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a soft spot for C, as I taught it at uni for many years, but I preferred using C++ (because it is object oriented). I do like Perl for quick hacking - especially for CGI scripts on websites, or for parsing text-based files.

I never particular cared for LISP - I could not get my brain around the semantics or the syntax. And MIPS (assembly language) was just plain tedious, but straightforward.

2. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Language agnostic here so i don't have extreme opinion about any language. I prefer to get work done quickly.

If i have to list favorite languages without being too touchy then this is what i can think of.

C#
    Python
    PHP
    Java
    Ruby

3. profile image54
    annamnaraposted 12 years ago

c proramming and assembly programming and system C

4. Extinct Soul profile image59
    Extinct Soulposted 12 years ago

C# and visual basic lol

5. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 12 years ago

shell programming - my favorite is anything using the bash or ksh in linux or unix

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

FORTRAN and BASIC *smiles*

1. profile image0
        mtsi1098posted 12 years agoin reply to this

it has been too long for me in fortran but basic i enjoyed very much

2. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aww man I was going to say that - what about Turbo Pascal and Turbo Basic.

What is really funny is that I wrote a Fortran emulator in Turbo Basic back in the 80s for a school project!

6. profile image58
    soniacharanposted 12 years ago

I DO THINK PL/SQL IS THE MOST EASIEST LANGUAGE...
    CHECK IT OUT..
    YOU NEED TO KNOW FEW SQL COMMANDS AND THEN...

7. ershruti304 profile image60
    ershruti304posted 12 years ago

Python
    .net
    Forton

8. crockpotcooking profile image57
    crockpotcookingposted 12 years ago

I earn my living writing PHP code.
    That is what I am best at. I also use databases and SQL.
    Javascript for all possible "sick" employer's ideas :-)

Lately I started to learn Java. It seems much more advanced than anything I encountered so far, and as equally complicated.

Back, some decade ago I started with Python and shortly after that initial playing moved to ASP (VBscript).
    However, I abandoned plain PHP coding and now happily use CI framework.

9. profile image0
    zEric7xposted 12 years ago

I tried learning to program C++ once but that was not something I got into very well.

10. profile image0
    andycoolposted 12 years ago

C++ and VB. smile

11. Julester profile image36
    Julesterposted 12 years ago

VB.Net for me.

12. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

In terms of what I use most often, Perl.

In terms of gooey eyed love, assembly.  Have you read "The Zen of Assembly Language"?  A bit dated now but still grabs me.

13. herFlick profile image61
    herFlickposted 12 years ago

well my first programming language was VB 6.0  big_smile I still love VB
    but my real love is c++
    and my lover is PHP big_smile

14. web-tools profile image40
    web-toolsposted 12 years ago

C#.net

15. jponiato profile image88
    jponiatoposted 12 years ago

Python.

16. Java Programs profile image58
    Java Programsposted 12 years ago

Well my favorite language is Java .... I even write hubs about Java Programming language ...

17. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Well this amateur only knows html...I know that isn't programming and felt overwhelmed with all the choices when trying to figure out which one would be easiest to learn.
    roll

1. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HTML 5 is pretty much an improvement today. In fact it is replacing Flash on many websites.

18. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I have to agree with skyfire, here. I would move to consider HTML to be a programming language nowadays.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll third that and we'll dispense with a vote: it is.

19. profile image0
    pixnumposted 12 years ago

My favorites are :

1. HTML
    2. Visual Basic
    3. PHP

20. profile image0
    mikeydcarroll67posted 12 years ago

Ruby on Rails and Objective C. Sometimes the occasional TI-basic.

21. TheITNinja profile image60
    TheITNinjaposted 12 years ago

A Clarification Ladies and Gentlemen HTML is not a programming language.

As far as I know it has never been turning complete. It is however a mark-up language.

The Ones I Love/Like (and used)

* C#
    * F#
    * Python
    * FORTRAN
    * Javascript
    * LISP
    * HASKELL
    * XSLT
    * T-SQL
    * MATLAB
    * PHP
    * VB6
    * VBScript
    * C/C++
    * x86 Assembly (very little)

and maybe a few others...

The Ones I hate

* Java

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)