Dunedin, Florida in the Greater Tampa Bay Area
Dunedin Offers Many Attractions to All Ages
Best Places to Retire and Drive a Golf Cart
Money Magazine named Dunedin, Florida one of the best places to retire in the USA for 2010 - 2011. Some other financial and news publications chose their favorites as well and these include Tampa, Clearwater, and St. Petersburg.
One of the good things about Dunedin is that during Summer 2011, golf carts became street legal and make an excellent form of alternative transportation. This is true for everyone legally able to drive one as well, not just Seniors.
Kids can't drive golf carts legally on the streets , only designated paths, and the carts must be registered and kept on the permitted streets.
The Jolley Trolley - Fun and Reduced Rates for Seniors
Great Jolley Trolley Times!
In addition, Dunedin sponsors the Jolley Trolley service that runs from Dunedin conveniently to Clearwater Beach, Palm Harbor, and Tarpon Springs every Friday through Sunday. This brings back memories of a simpler time in which residents road the trolley cars of towns and cities in America to the trolley parks for band performances and picnics.
The Jolley Trolley runs from Dunedin to Clearwater every 30 minutes from 10:00 AM to the 11:30 PM last stop on its scheduled days. From Friday through Sunday, it runs to Downtown Clearwater and the other cities mentioned. The two routes are both run on Sundays.
This trolley travels to Clearwater's well known Pier 60 Sunset Festivals nightly and for free movies every Friday and Saturday. Bring a chair and enjoy the tasty concessions!
Jolley Trolley Cities
Dunedin is one of the oldest communities on the Gulf Coast of Florida.
More Dunedin "Bests"
The US Census Bureau reports the population of Dunedin, Florida to be approximately 37,000 individuals in 2015.While not a huge metropolis, it offers good, services, transportation options, and housing choices for people of any age. Families, singles, and Seniors love this town.
The cost of living here is reported as below the national average by a full 5.9%, which makes the city more affordable overall. Sales Tax is 7% and there is no city income tax.
Sperlings Best Places rates Dunedin within the Top 50 Romantic Places for Boomers - also good for retirees - and State Farm Insurance rates the city as the Number Three Most Fiscally Fit City (along with the Greater Tampa Bay Area) on its Top 50 list.
A Sample of Best Attractions
Lovely Island State Parks in Dunedin
- Dunedin Highland Games and Festival - Named after Gaelic traditions, Dunedin hosts an annual Highlander games with traditional events and foods.
- Hammock Park is a beautiful natural setting that houses a large Butterfly Garden.
- Honeymoon Island Park. Once known as Hog Island, this place offers many events and recreation options that include Trick or Treat, Scary Trail, child oriented games, and special family activities observed on the last weekend of October each year. Located just north of Caladesi Island.
The Caladesi Island Ferry runs to and from Honeymoon Island every half-hour beginning at 10:00 AM daily except Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
Honeymoon Island Park
Honeymoon Island Eagles
- Westfield Countryside Mall - Just east of Dunedin at 27001 US Highway 19 North, Clearwater FL 33761. Several major department stores act as anchors - from Dillard's to Whole Foods - and an ice rink is offered in the center of the mall. Unique additions are a play space for the kids and a family lounge with relaxation areas and even TV. Special events keep a trip to the mall interesting for people of all ages.
Countryside Mall on Highway 19
Especially for Seniors
Dunedin Senior Activities
Active And Assisted Retirement Living
- 55+ Active Adult Retirement Communities in Tampa Bay Florida
Find 55+ retirement active adult communities in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Pinellas, Hillsborough and Pasco County
- Welcome to Scottish Towers II, 55+ Apartment Community, Located in the Tampa Bay Metro Area in Pinel
Medical and Veterinary Services
Local Hospitals and Medical Centers
- BayCare Alliant Hospital - Dunedin
- Largo Medical Center - Largo, southwest of Dunedin
- Mease Countryside Hospital - Morton Plant Mease in Safety Harbor, east of Dunedin
- Town and Country Hospital - Tampa
Sports and Education
- Toronto Blue Jays - Spring Training at Dunedin Florida Auto Exchange Stadium
- Dunedin Blue Jays - Minor League Baseball - Florida State League (FSL)
- Dunedin Highland Games - Celebrated during Scottish Events Week each summer (see link above)
Higher Education and Training - Arts and Culture
The choices of post-secondary school in the Dunedin area is good and these facilities are part of the arts and cultural scenes with their own museums, galleries, and performance arts.
- Clearwater Christian College
- Central Florida Institute - Palm Harbor -- Offers training in important Medical technologies
- DeVry University - Tampa
- Dunedin Fine Art Center
- Florida Career College - Tampa
- Sanford-Brown Institute - Tampa
- Schiller International University - Dunedin
- Strayer University - Tampa
- Trinity College - Dunedin/Port Richey
- Ultimate Medical Academy - Clearwater and Tampa
- Zion Christian University - Clearwater
Business and Work Opportunities
Business and Job Market
The Greater Tampa Bay Area that includes Dunedin and other smaller towns is one in which a range of jobs are available, many of them well paying.
This type of job market makes Dunedin a good place for any age to settle and make a home. Retirees that want to continue working can find employment here.
Spotlight On New Jobs
Emerging jobs in Aviation and Aerospace operations advertised in the Dunedin area include.
- Manned Airship Pilots
- Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV) Pilots
- MAV6, LLC; a Defense Contractor and Aerospace Company.
Blue Devil Airship: USAF Surveillance Blimp
The United States Air Force announced in October 2011 that it was testing its Blue Devil 2 airship (blimp) for deployment to Afghanistan in 2012. Developed by MAV6, LLC the airship is designed to use surveillance items that include wide-area cameras capable of scanning 36 miles2 of landscape at a time.
The prototype blimp was inflated with helium and stored in Elizabeth City, NC by MAV6, LLC and further developed. The Blue Devil 2 is an airship that is 370 feet long. Its volume is 1.4 million feet3. The need for pilots in the manned and unmanned program is growing.
Top Hiring Companies: Many Associated With NASA Projects
The top companies hiring in the Dunedin area involve Engineering and Aerospace Technologies as well as other technological pursuits:
- Lockheed Martin: A big partner in the NASA Commercial Crew.
- General Dynamics: Member of Commercial Crew.
- Kelly Engineering Resources
- PDS Technical Services
- Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC): Member of Commercial Crew.
- SAIC; Member of Commercial Crew.
- BAE Systems: Member of Commercial Crew.
- Nielsen Company
- Honeywell: Member of Commercial Crew.
- General Electric: Member of Commercial Crew.
Top 10 Hot Jobs In and Around Denedin
- Registered Nurses(RNs)
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists and Assistants
- Customer Service Representatives
- CNAs - Certified Nurse Assistants
- Assistant Managers
- Nursing Staff- LPNs, LVNs, CNAs, other
- Speech Therapists
- Project Managers - IT
Additional High Demand Jobs:
- Dental Assistants
- Account Executives
- Business Analysts
- Outside Sales Representatives
Additional Moderate-Demand Jobs:
- Software and Sr. Software Engineers and Developers
- Systems Engineers
- Tech Analyst-Systems Architects
- Project Engineers
- Ui Developers
- Network Engineers
- Engineering Technicians
- Assembler - 1St Shift
- Principal Engineer
- Automation Engineers
- Remedy Report Administrators
- Q& A Engineers
© 2011 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Route 66 through Missouri is one of the most enjoyable vacation routes in America. The restoration of much of the route makes visiting easy and fun.
Jousting is the state sport, but swimming is gaining traction as hometown hero Michael Phelps racks up gold medals. Meanwhile, the state is a good place to do business.
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.