jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Power failure hits Carnival Ecstasy cruise ship-Conspiracy?

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

I am wondering like so many others, if there are conspiracies going on with all the carnival cruise ships failing.
    I don't think I would ever take a cruise on carnival or any other at this point. BTW Carnival is practically giving away cruise trips right now--any takers?

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/power-fai … -1B9518757

2. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 3 years ago

No way I would take any cruise on a boat with Carnival! These types of "failures" are bound to happen when you cut corners to increase profits. Sounds like Carnival should spend more on the maintenance of their ships before sending them out to sea.

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 3 years ago

A lack of preventative maintenance and updating does not make for a conspiracy.  They've been funneling too much money into the ongoing "we have the best, biggest new boat" race with competing companies and not spending enough cash on keeping older systems updated. 

That boat that just had the blackouts was first launched in 1991.  How much of a drain do you think a boatload of personal electronics from 2013 are on an electrical system that is just over 20 years old?

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Assuming 5,000 passengers (overloaded boat), 5,000 PC's (one apiece, even small children) and 10,000 chargers (one phone, one camera for every person) it will come to about 5 KW if they all run at the same time (doubtful).  As it was approaching home port it is unlikely in the extreme that passenger electronics had anything to do with it - they would have all been packed away.

But even if all the passenger equipment was running, 50 KW isn't a drop in the bucket for a large cruise ship - there's more to it than that.  Probably lack of maintenance on whatever mechanical system broke.  Or maybe not; a mechanical breakdown that was fixed in 12 minutes isn't much of a breakdown.