Middle Tennessee suffers massive flooding

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Just want to give a quick up date.  You may or may not know that Nashville Tennessee and the 40 county middle Tennessee area has suffered a massive flood.  Thousands of people no longer have a home and many no longer have a job.  My three brother-in-laws and I with a few friends have decided to do what we can to help.  We all suffered some flood damage ourselves but nothing like what we've seen as we pitch in.  As of Monday we've distributed approximately 4,000 bottles of water and almost 3 tons of non-perishable food to families in our rural area north of Nashville at our own expense and with some donations.  We have a paypal account set up (t_beck@live.com) and have been soliciting $1 donation.  No more than that.  We've receive donations from just about every state in 3 days which is amazing.  We even got a dollar from a little girl in Alaska.  Kinda brings a tear to your eye when you realize other people do care. 

We are purchasing bottled water from Georgia for a discount price as water seems to be the greatest need now.  Only one treatment plant for the entire Nashville area is in operation and its down to 37% as of last night.  Thousands have no electricity or running water with no end in sight.  I was upset when the ground floor of my house flooded until I met people this week whose houses were gone.  Literally gone!  Puts things in perspective.  We are going to continue our adhoc recovery compaign for the next 2 weeks.  By then I hope the state and federal agencies will have taken over completely.  Currently our state agencies aren't much help as they were damaged as well.

1. K Partin profile image60
      K Partinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My heart goes out to all these people suffering from these massive floods. I think it's time we divert the money from Haiti to our own now! Where is all the support for these people? Where is the telethons for these people? What countries are coming to our aide? We've had many, many disasters here and I've seen none of this. And we can include the people of Mississippi who were devastated by the tornadoes recently. It's time we really start taking care of our own.

Can you believe that some of OUR people living in Louisiana are still homeless or waiting for some kind of aid from Katrina disaster?? This is totally unacceptable!

We are so quick to come to the aide of other countries, but drag our feet taking care of our own....shame on us.

tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

We're asking the same thing here.  Yesterday Obama did declare 4 counties eligible for federal disaster relief.  What about the other 36 counties???  Also, the most you can get with a loan (LOAN) from FEMA is $30,000.  I'm not even applying even though my damages will run alot higher.  I figure the money should go to those that don't even have a home to repair.  I have a place to live and can make repairs on down the line somewhere.  We've got too many people need help now!  There's a factory just 8 miles from me that employs almost the entire Scottsboro community making hot water heaters.  That factory is gone.  1,100 people have no homes and now no job.  It's hard to think we're helping with just water and food.  Heartbreaking.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

very sad. good for you for getting in there and helping. so many people in need. it could happen anywhere to any of us.

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

tobey, it's wonderful that you are in a position to be able to help.  The state of Tennessee is lucky to have you as a resident.

I don't know about that.  We just felt like we had to do something.  It's either help or sit down and cry.

4. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

sorry yo hear about the flooding we had loads her ein Ireland ove rthe winter - devastating to people

5. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

I've been wondering how you were doing in all this nightmare, tobey. I have several friends in and around Nashville, and I'm sure they are dramatically affected. I'll spread the word about the dollar donations. Sending all the best, my friend. God speed!

Thanks DC.  I know alot of folks are leary about making donations.  that's why we're only accepting $1 max.  We figured anyone can afford to lose a dollar and for $1 we can get 4 bottles of water which goes along ways now.  I was upset about my ground floor until I went out last night with a local high school teacher to help look over the damage to his house and his house was gone.  Pictures on the news don't even come close.  Thanks again

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Kudos, Tobey!

Thanks habee!

7. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

There are a couple of options to help in this situation that come to mind:
    1. Write a hub, tobey about the devastation with some pics, and make sure you put in the donation info and paypal account info. I'll bet you can get a lot of traffic and support.

2. Update your profile and blogspot and include similar info there.

People like me, other hubbers, readers, etc, can link your hub, profile, or blog and post on other social media accounts like facebook, twitter, etc., and hopefully it will help bring in some significant donations. If you get a lot, you can always set up a fund of some kind to make it more universally helpful.

Thoughts?

Outstanding idea.  Will do!  Many thanks

2. Ms Chievous profile image67
      Ms Chievousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good idea Daniel!  Tobey.. write it and we link it, blog or post it!

I had started on a hub dealing with the flood but hadn't finished.  I knocked it out rather quickly but I think it gets the point across.  I figure if we kept it just a dollar folks wouldn't worry so much about being scammed.  I included pictures and a link to another hub I was putting together that's all picture.  Folks don't absolutely need to give their name, address or email, I just thought they might like to hear from someone they helped.  The hub:  http://hubpages.com/hub/Devastating-Flo … -Tennessee

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)