Tennessee insurrection by liberals?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (82 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 13 months ago

Gun control activists storm Tennessee State Capitol in Nashville after 'Trans Shaman' joined occupation of Kentucky legislature - as fears of a left-wing uprising loom ahead of Trans Day of Vengeance
    Gun control activists were seen storming Tennessee's State Capitol Thursday amid rising fears of a left-wing uprising at a rumored protest in Washington, DC
    Footage of the ongoing insurrection was posted online just before 2pm, and shows protesters attempting to enter the building while being batted away
    Such dramatics were not exclusive to Nashville- as feelings of unrest continue to boil after a recent mass shooting at a school involving a transgender gunman

Gun control activists were seen storming Tennessee's State Capitol Thursday amid rising fears of a left-wing uprising at a rumored protest in Washington, DC.

Footage of the insurrection shows progressive protesters battling with cops as they attempted to gain access to the legislature in Nashville. Hundreds of people were seen inside the lobby and yelling from the gallery at concerned lawmakers.

The protest against guns comes after transgender shooter Audrey Hale on Monday gunned down six people, including three nine-year-old kids, at a Christian school in Nashville.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … -loom.html

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 13 months agoin reply to this

How much property damage, how many people were hurt? The video shows mostly young people, young women involved. None of the lawmakers were harmed, I would not be as confident to say that about the rightwing melee of J6, if they could have found any of them.

You are laying out a red herring, no protest mob does dirt like a Rightwinger mob does dirt.

1. abwilliams profile image67
        abwilliamsposted 13 months agoin reply to this

It matters not Cred, if one single cop had felt threatened by one single unarmed female and made the decision to shoot her dead, it would have been justifiable.....or so I have been told!

Sorry, AB, like I said before that if I were there I would have emptied my revolver upon the mob. I would not have known what the intention of the mob were and who was armed and who was not. They were breaking windows and damaging property to gain access. A well placed bullet or two might have dissuaded others. I was charged with protection of the members of legislature, and I guess that I would have to go “Dirty Harry” to do the job.

Regardless of what the Right claims what occurred in Tennessee it could not possible be relatable to what happened on J6.

1. Coltonlarsen1975 profile image60
            Coltonlarsen1975posted 13 months agoin reply to this

"But the Tennessee Highway Patrol has said the protest was peaceful, with no property damage or arrests. Democratic lawmakers noted as much and blasted Republicans for mischaracterizing the Tennessee residents — some children — who came to the Capitol.

Come on already people.  Do you not see that MANY Republican politicians LIE to you?  Do they really think people are that dumb?

"It was a loud demonstration but resolved peacefully," said Lt. Bill Miller, THP public information officer. "It was resolved with no arrests and no damaged property."

Compare that to what House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville said
            "And what they did today was at least equivalent —maybe worse depending on how you look at it — of doing an insurrection in the Capitol.".  LAUGHABLE

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/p … 069440007/

“Do they really think people are that dumb?”

Yes, Colton, they do and unfortunately, too often, they are….

2. Coltonlarsen1975 profile image60

We do give law enforcement that ability don't we? They are on the front lines making  split second decisions of life and death.  I highly doubt that partisan thoughts are flashing through their brains on those fleeting seconds. The partisan crap gets spread on after the fact by the media.  I thought conservatives supported law enforcement??  Having  a tough time understanding conservatives feelings toward the police these days.

It is an ongoing discussion between Cred and I.
            I have always supported and have been a defender of the police, especially when leftists were marching and chanting "pigs in a blanket fry em like bacon", I knew no good could come of that.....and didn't! Things got real bad for them for a while, I hope that has changed.

I had a big problem with the person {that probably shouldn't be a police officer} shooting into the crowd willy nilly on J6, and killing an unarmed, non-threatening, veteran, a woman, named Ashli Babbitt.

Yes, the police sure do have a problem with acting  willy nilly. The  murders of  George Floyd, Tyre Nichols, Breonna Taylor are just a few examples.

Readmikenowposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Gee, where was the outrage for Tony Timpa?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ … 024452002/

Yes, and we won't even begin to describe the vast numbers of unarmed Hispanic, white and even Asian people shot by police.  Because in the liberal mind, they don't matter.

Liberals suffer from something known as "Selective Outrage." If you are not a member of their select group, the police and killing you will go unnoticed by them.

Sounds like we agree there is a police brutality problem

Can we agree that liberals have a track record of selective outrage?

2. abwilliams profile image67

...and here I thought you were looking to have a serious discussion.

3. Valeant profile image85
          Valeantposted 13 months agoin reply to this

One single unarmed female?  That's a pretty yuge distortion of the facts of the shooting.  One person advancing towards elected reps, after being warned not to, leading a crowd that had already physically attacked police.  These distortions are getting comical.

No distortions V.
            Cred had stated that the Police Officer was justified in taking the shot and the life of Ashli Babbitt. He took it even further by suggesting that shooting into the crowd, if a Police Officer feels threatened, is reasonable.
            I was just reminding him; no distortions, no comics.

1. Valeant profile image85

Why do you deny the findings of not one, but two, investigations into the matter that came to the same conclusions that Cred did?  Why is it so hard to accept those findings for you?  That is a clear distortion of what happened.  Even saying she was one single unarmed woman is not even close to the truth.

And you believe it was shooting into a crowd that Cred was suggesting while many others can read those words and believe that after being attacked that it is the belief that had there been an earlier use of their weapons that the occupation of the Capitol might have been avoided.

2. AliciaC profile image91
      AliciaCposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Just a quick note. The Daily Mail is not considered a reliable source of news details. It wasn’t when I Iived in Britain. I did a check before I created this post. It hasn’t improved its reputation.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
        Kathleen Cochranposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for calling them out. As recently revealed, neither is FOX here in the U.S.

2. Readmikenow profile image94

"The Daily Mail is not considered a reliable source of news details."

According to who?

IF so, tell me which part of the story is wrong.

Just show me.

1. Valeant profile image85

The part where they 'stormed' the Capitol is a gross exaggeration.  The police moved the crowd back when the reps came through and the Daily Mail used that moment to claim that the Capitol was stormed.  And you just ran with it to try and make your usual false equivalency to try and excuse the events of January 6.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

AliciaC: Please don't go to any time or trouble to find a source for Readmikenow. You'll be wasting your time.

I agree.  They're aren't any reliable sources to confirm such a statement.

2. Coltonlarsen1975 profile image60
    Coltonlarsen1975posted 13 months ago

"While the crowd—primarily made up of people in their teens, according to video from inside the statehouse—did grow heated at one juncture, photos taken within hours of the protest showed the halls of the statehouse were cleared of protesters a little bit past lunchtime.

"Right now, the capitol is basically empty except for members (in session), some staff, a few protesters, and scattered media members," Jackson Lelle, legislative staffer, tweeted early Thursday afternoon after the protests subsided. "Please do not spread this disinformation."

Other video and images from inside the statehouse show law enforcement clearing a path through the crowd wide enough to allow lawmakers to enter and exit the chamber without incident.

I've yet to read  that any law enforcement was beaten with poles or bear sprayed.

Given all the evidence available, there is no indication that the rally was organized by transgender activists or amounted to anything near the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

3. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 months ago

Sounds much like the j6 riot with two exceptions.  First, cops fought the crowd rather than inviting them in and giving a tour.  Second, it was done by liberals so down-played and ignored by most sources.

Possibly it didn't get the same coverage as Jan 6 because it wasn't violent.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 13 months agoin reply to this

From the link in the OP:
        "Gun control activists were seen storming Tennessee's State Capitol Thursday"

"Footage of the insurrection shows progressive protesters battling with cops as they attempted to gain access to the legislature in Nashville"

Not sure what you would need to see to call it "violent" but both of these would count to me even after adjusting for medias propensity to exaggerate.

"But the Tennessee Highway Patrol has said the protest was peaceful, with no property damage or arrests. Democratic lawmakers noted as much and blasted Republicans for mischaracterizing the Tennessee residents — some children — who came to the Capitol.

"It was a loud demonstration but resolved peacefully," said Lt. Bill Miller, THP public information officer. "It was resolved with no arrests and no damaged property."

Compare that to what House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville said
          "And what they did today was at least equivalent —maybe worse depending on how you look at it — of doing an insurrection in the Capitol.".  LAUGHABLE

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/p … 075823007/

Yes, and the Portland police said the violence and burning buildings were not a riot, too, when it was impossible to stop it.

Personally I would take it that the truth lies somewhere between the exaggerations of either police tasked with maintaining the peace and the comments of the Speaker building Republican Power.  Perhaps a few bruises or minor cuts, perhaps a few broken windows, maybe a damaged doorway or cop car somewhere.

That there were no arrests does not surprise me, not in a solid blue city.  It has become the norm for liberals to ignore violent riots...unless it threatens the politicians and leaders.

Are you really saying that Tennessee law enforcement are lying about what happened?  I'm taking these officials at their word. The police said there were NO arrests and NO damage. They aren't being honest?? How so?

Wilderness will avoid being pinned down on any point, it is like nailing jello to the wall.

The statement made by him is unsubstantiated and has no foundation in reality.

True that

2. wilderness profile image93

Did you also take the Portland police at their word?  Or is there a vast difference between cops of Oregon and those of Tennessee?

You may believe anything someone says that supports their doing a great job; I'm disillusioned enough that I seriously doubt them in such a case. 

I would point out that Portland cops made no arrests after declaring a violent riot a "disturbance" or some such as well.  THAT I would believe; if there is no riot there should be no arrests, either.

But no damage?  No severe damage I would believe, but as I already said a few broken windows would not surprise me at all.

There are no records of arrest of anyone protesting at the Tennessee Capitol. 
                  Portland has nothing to do with Tennessee.

No protesting?  Why were those people there and what were they doing?  Standing quietly and bird watching?  I don't think so. The caption in the OP link says "Footage of the ongoing insurrection, posted to social media just before 2pm, shows progressive protesters attempting to enter the Nashville legislation building"

Ah.  So the cops in Portland are not to be believed while those in Tennessee are because it fits your purpose to believe some but not the other?  Why DO you believe one set but not another?

Or do you actually believe Portland cops in the middle of a riot when they say it isn't one because they didn't have the manpower to respond (and yes, they eventually made that clear)?

4. Readmikenow profile image94
  5. Readmikenow profile image94

Tennessee House speaker calls for expulsion of three Dems who led gun control protest: 'We cannot allow' this

Gloria Johnson, Justin Jones and Justin Pearson joined protesters who disrupted House proceedings

Three Tennessee state Democrats were pulled from committee assignments after disrupting the state House floor in Nashville last Thursday during protests for stricter gun control measures, but the three activist lawmakers could soon face expulsion altogether.

Tennessee House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R., says Reps. Gloria Johnson, Justin Jones and Justin Pearson will have their chance for due process at an upcoming House vote where they will face expulsion from an overwhelmingly Republican majority for disrupting House floor proceedings to lead protesters in the overhead balcony.

"I want to make sure everybody knows this has nothing to do about the protest outside the House chamber or the protests outside the Capitol," Sexton told Fox News' Bill Hemmer on Wednesday.

"This is about these three members' actions on the House floor, how they shut us down, and how they led protests from the House chamber to those [people] in the balcony," he continued."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/tennessee … nnot-allow

Rep. Johnson (one of the 3 facing expulsion)  said she spent some time with the protestors   inside the rotunda before the session started, talking to a few about why they were there. She said the three wanted to welcome and honor the protesters on the floor but said their voices were shut down.

"And then there was no opportunities to speak on the floor, and to even address it then. And then we had a bill about vouchers. And they wouldn't call on several of us to allow us to speak on issues affecting our community. And at that point, we just said, you know, between the next bills, let's walk up to the well, and acknowledge that there are people out there that care deeply about their children and their community," she said.

Johnson said the three anticipated their microphone being cut, so one of the members brought a small bullhorn with them to continue speaking. In an interview with 10 News, Johnson said that the three knew they were breaking a House rule.

"I fully acknowledge that. But I broke that rule in order to fight for Tennessee's children, Tennessee's teachers, Tennessee's churches. We have got to address this issue. And we have got to make sure that both sides of the aisle are talking about this issue. And I will break protocol if I need to to fight for Tennessee kids," she said. "2000 people were outside the doors begging us to talk about gun violence. The least we could do is acknowledge that they were there... that they cared and they're fighting for their community."

Admirable.

Yep.  Admirable.  "I broke the law because the law is bad and because my cause is just.".

What if we ALL break laws we don't like or laws that interfere with our personal cause?  The term for that is "anarchy", and is not very pleasant to experience.

A rule was broken. Not a law.
          The Republicans also broke protocol by refusing Democrats their time to speak.

Good answer.  Although there are always 1,000 reasons to break laws and rules.  Starting with "My cause is just" or "But it's important to me!" and ending with "He did it first!".  Both are at about elementary school level thinking IMO.

So is the rabid red Republican legislature thus excused from actually serving the people that put them there by presenting a deaf ear to their concerns?

What laws do they adhere to?

The Republican lead Tennessee house is moving to expel the 3 ELECTED reps that spoke out of turn.  When you can't silence your opposition just get rid of them?

1. GA Anderson profile image88
                  GA Andersonposted 13 months agoin reply to this

It's their game, they get to make the rules. However, and once more; 'just because you can doesn't mean you should.'

GA

2. wilderness profile image93

Presumably the rules and decorum of the legislature.

I may be wrong - I haven't really looked at this - but I gather that those three aided idiots in the balcony that attempted to disrupt the session using a bullhorn.  If that is true they should be removed; they are not there to play to the media OR loud voices; they are there to run the state.

You are wrong, theatrics are hardly the sole purview of Democrats. Ask why Republican senators and representatives were accessories to the J6 riots, were they expelled? This is partisan and I want the Republicans stomped flat over it.

Republicans still think they can muzzle contrary ideas by silencing the voices, but instead of whispers those voices will come through with bull horns, if necessary.

The rules of decorum are used to intimidate Democrats while the Reichstag framers themselves are free to ignore them, isn't that what Republicans do?

"republican senators and representatives were accessories to the J6 riots"

Are you sure? Is there any proof of this?

2. GA Anderson profile image88
                    GA Andersonposted 13 months agoin reply to this

That's baloney. There is no comparison. I don't think there were any Representatives in the crowd that 'broke' the established rules in the J6 action. From media reports, Representatives preplanned breaking the rules. They knew the mic would be cut so they brought a bullhorn/megaphone. They were more than involved, they were leading the action.

It is only one perspective that Republicans are silencing voices, another would be that 'voices' don't have 'a Right' to be heard wherever and whenever they want and the three in the fire knew that and decided, as has been pointed out, their cause was just so to hell with the rules.

Surely that doesn't work for you?

As a side note, just to offer a perception: The young Black Rep that is getting all the news time is going to hurt more than help. He looks like he's channeling Revs. Jackson and Sharpton. He looks like he's insincerely acting.

GA

Yep.  The voices from the left come through bullhorns rather than through their designated voice in Congress.  And through burning buildings and trashing cop cars rather than through their designated voices.  And through toppling statues rather than those voices.

But theatrics are hardly the purview of only the left; the right is nearly as good at it.  Not quite, for they don't have the massive voice of MSM, but they do try.

Doesn't seem like either party serves the people any more - just themselves and their contributors.  Certainly it doesn't do the country or its people any good to invite hundreds of thousands of foreigners to feed off our pocketbooks.  Or demand that males and females share the same changing rooms and compete in the same sports. 

Presumably the ones in the law library for their state.  You know, the same ones that liberals violate and ignore at will.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

Colton: Yes it was admirable - and it will be remembered in the vein of "Profiles in Courage" and examples of "Good Trouble."

When you live in a state with a GOP controlled legislature, you know what it means to see politicians misuse their power just because they can. I live in Georgia. I know what it means - and then some.

Just a question, but what is your opinion of the results of disrupting that congress and the work they were doing?  Did that bullhorn and disruption actually cause anyone on the floor of the building to change their thinking, their votes?

What is your opinion on that?  What was the end result to the the actions they wanted taken - do you believe they accomplished anything there?  Or was the only real result the loss of 3 voting members that were presumably on their side?

They were representing their constituents who were not being heard. They broke the rules of the house. They should have been disciplined but expelling them was overreaction in the extreme. The TN GOP just humiliated themselves for no good reason.

Of course they were being "heard"!  The were even provide a microphone to use.

But then they decided that being heard was not enough and the bullhorn came out and they began chanting the same few words over and over and over.  They aren't concerned with "being heard" - they demand that the session be shut down and that their wants be met regardless of what others might want.  That is NOT "being heard"; it is disrupting Congress.

As far as the 2 expelled, I might have agreed...until I saw the video of them, apparently ono the floor of Congress, shouting into a bullhorn.  If their concept of running the state is to shut down the legislature until they get their way they have no business there and SHOULD be expelled.  Just think of how little will get done if everyone on the floor behaved so poorly.

But you didn't answer the main question; did they accomplish getting their wish for gun control, or did they accomplish something else?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)