Oslo, Norway - a large explosion

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Uzdawi profile image71
    Uzdawiposted 12 years ago

Since my cousin lives with his family in Oslo, I was shocked to hear the news.But he and his family are all fine.What do you think about the explosions there?It is in general a very safe place to live and to visit, but now..

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting this as I would have missed it otherwise. Horrible business! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14252515

2. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Grim - I can never see why anyone thinks that blowing up innocent people is the answer to their problems.  Glad that your family is OK Uzdawi.

3. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

It's been more than an explosion, a gunman has got loose on an island where there is a kids camp going on. He's disguised as a policeman and between 25 and 30 people have been killed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -Oslo.html

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OMG that is horrendous! I saw the news about the gunman dressed as a policeman earlier, but was under the impression that only 5 had been injured and the gunman overpowered. How awful!

Religion has a lot to answer for in this world.

1. CMHypno profile image82
        CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They seem to be saying that is is some unknown Jihad group.  Many of the teenagers are still trapped, and they think that there may be explosive devices planted there.

How could anyone do this, whatever gripes they think that they have with the world. These are just innocent kids?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

10 have been confirmed dead at the camp and 7 in the explosion.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

There is no reliable information on who committed the two acts, or indeed confirming they are related. Until there is information I think all we can offer is sympathy and support for Norway, and condemnation of *whatever* group did this.

Bombing a civilian target and shooting children. What they are is scum, I am not sure how much it matters which brand of scum they are except to those who will hunt them down and bring them in.

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

if the Taliban feel they or Islam have been disrespected in any way then they have the right to deal with the offenders in the most forceful and deadly manner..

No one has the right to deal with people this way? Or did you mean that they feel that they have the right, rather than they do have the right?

yes I wrote that and it didn't come through...been happening all day..

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

We still don't know who is responsible yet. No point in jumping to conclusions with no proof.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't be silly. Reason and calm are of no use in a time like this. Now is the time to grab our pitchforks and torches and go out and GIT THEM BASTARDS! Don't even matter which ones, just git some of 'em. Yeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!

6. theherbivorehippi profile image64
    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

This is so heartbreaking....so sad.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Now they are saying it's possible the same guy did both attacks.

Well apparently they have arrested someone, so hopefully they will get some answers.

The trouble is that it becomes a never ending cycle of violence, which needs to be broken.  When will we realise that violence never accomplishes anything, and that acts like this will just lead to retaliation, which will lead to more hate and more innocent people being killed or injured.

(lets see if my fingers work)
        the Islam extremists FEEL that they have the right to deal with offenders in the most forceful way ..including killing the innocent...they think different than we do...it is sad..

8. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

They are droning people every day Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya, Yemen, now Somalia. No one seems to have a problem with that.

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Norway is a wonderful country and their prime minister is responding to this attack with feeling and eloquence. I am sure the international community will do what they can to assist, as we should.

10. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

It is now just after midnight in the UK. Unless things have changed drastically in the UK in the 8 years since I left, between now and 6am UK time is a good time to watch the BBCNews 24. As I do not yet have television, I am hoping that their website will report things coming in, as they happen.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

The BBC are great for impartial, factual reporting, so long as the government is sleeping!

11. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

OMG no confirmation yet, but on the BBC website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ - there is a red banner along the top saying "Breaking news" at least 80 killed in shooting at Utoeya island camp.

12. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

wow!...i bet they are 'totally stunned'...

13. moiragallaga profile image75
    moiragallagaposted 12 years ago

I hope people would avoid jumping to conclusions. Authorities are still in the process of putting the picture of what happened together. The bombing is horrible, but the shooting is much worse. Latest reports puts the death of the shooting massacre at the youth camp now at 80 (7 were killed in the bombing)and still they are not finished searching the area and their investigation of the incident.

For those who jumped the gun very early, the shooting suspect is a Norwegian, blond with blue eyes with alleged rightist links. They also suspect he was responsible for the bomb blast.

While some reports note that this suspect could have been responsible for both incidents and may have acted alone, I find it hard to believe how 80 people were killed by one gunman only.

I think we should let the authorities do their job first and let us monitor what is happening. We could make conclusions later when more facts have surfaced. I know how emotions could get stirred when horrible incidents like these happen, this is what terrorists of any persuasion would like to achieve (I live in a country with 2 active insurgencies and 1 fundamentalist terrorist group with international connections). Let us not fall into their trap.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes...i agree...i automatically recalled the École Polytechnique Massacre in Montreal, Quebec,  Canada - 28 students died...one gunman (after reading the link above)...not a terrorist...crazy guy - didn't seem to like female engineering students...these days the word 'terrorist' seems to pop up so easily.

14. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

You must also remember that the earliest reports of the Norway incidents (both the bombings and the shootings) were initially blamed by the authorities on Islamic terrorists, so it's not simply a case of people jumping to conclusions, when it was down there in black and white.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)