jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

$100. fee for Carry-on Luggage

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

By Rob Lovitt, msnbc.com contributor

Would you pay $100 to put your carry-on bag in an airplane overhead bin? If you fly Spirit Airlines this fall and dont pay before you get to the gate, you almost certainly will.
    This week, the low-cost carrier announced that it will not only start charging a C-note for that particular privilege the current fee is $45 vs. $30 if you pay online before you check in  but will also raise the price on roughly two dozen other baggage fees, effective Nov. 6. Depending on whether you pay those fees online, via phone or at the airport, most of the other increases are a more modest $2 to $10 per bag
    http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ … -lot?lite/
    It appears to be a punishment fee if you don't pay when booking... roll

1. 62
      marshwilsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, I noticed that air travel industry is not doing unbelievably well these days and it gets harder for them all the time. That is the reason that baggage and other airline fees are unlikely to stop any time soon.. Unfortunately for anyone who travels by air these days, most airlines charge a fee to check bags. In some cases, passengers get charged to stow bags in the overhead compartment. For instance, according to Fox Business, Allegiant Airlines charges $35 to stow a carry-on bag in the overhead compartment. Spirit Airlines charges $45. Spirit has also, according to the Washington Post, instituted a new fee for not paying for an overhead bin bag ahead of boarding. If Spirit Airline passengers pay for using an overhead bin at an airport kiosk or at the ticket counter, the fee stays at $45. However, if they neglect to do so until they are at the boarding gate, the fee rises to $100. However, some airlines refuse to engage in it. Southwest Airlines, according to the Seattle Times, is the only carrier that refuses to charge baggage fees or rebooking fees. From my resource, the reason for airline fees is that air travel is not a very profitable business. Fuel costs and continually fluctuating levels of travel make it difficult to consistently make enough to cover the bottom line. Well, you can gain more information at:  Baggage fees likely only to get worse.

2. Lukyman profile image60
    Lukymanposted 4 years ago

I am already boycotting Spirit Airlines. I had problems with a cancelled Flite some years ago causing me to drive to another airport to make a meeting in the destination city. When I tryed to get a refund for my return trip as my car was some 70 miles away, Spirit refused any refund of the return trip

3. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 4 years ago

I have come to hate traveling by air.  Used to love it as a child.  I wouldn't pay that kind of money to put my luggage in an overhead compartment.  All I want is my laptop, and that can be shoved under the seat.  I'm short, so it's a struggle to reach up and shove luggage into an upper compartment or retrieve it when it's time to leave.  I like traveling light, and I won't carry a purse.  If I forgot to pack something, I'll replace it.  But only if I can't live without the item.  Even if the carry-on had wheels, it's still a pain to drag it in and out of the plane and through the airport.  But people are willing to pay to have their stuff within reach.