jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

When flying, do you cram all your stuff into a carryon or pay the baggage fee?

1. linfcor profile image84
    linfcorposted 2 years ago

When flying, do you cram all your stuff into a carryon or pay the baggage fee?

In the last couple of weeks, I have flown on several trips. My husband and I were flying with a bag that we had paid for and one carryon bag. But we noticed more that not, the flights were booked full. Even more annoying was the fact that people were using larger carryon bags than were supposed to be taken on the plane. Several people had 2-3 carryon bags, So the overhead bins were crammed full and overloaded. Guess they want to avoid the bag fee. Now the airlines really did not enforce their own policies, so I guess people just take advantage. So what do you think? I

2. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

I usually take Southwest airlines and they allow two carry on bags. That being said; yes, people are taking advantage of the free bags and stuffing large bags into the overhead bins. That causes a lot more time loading and unloading. It also causes passengers on the end of the line to check in their bags since the first ones have left no room. I am not happy that the airliners are not enforcing their own policies and creating a lot of anger and frustration.

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

I haven't flown in ages, but you can pack in such a way that you can get a lot more into a standard carryon bag than most do.  Those who backpack in Europe can attest to this fact lol.  I can cram a lot of stuff into one bag, so on the rare occasion that I fly, it's all coming with me.  I'm considerate about it though and if I had to carry everything but the kitchen sink for whatever reason, I'm sure I'd check the bag.

4. liesl5858 profile image89
    liesl5858posted 2 years ago

If I am flying long distance then I would have to pay the baggage fee but if I am flying only to Europe, I will not pay the baggage fee. I regret paying a baggage fee when we went to Barcelona in April 2015. We were allowed one hand luggage each that fit on the overhead bins. But we have paid for another luggage that we don't have to hand carry. It is not worth paying, it cost £27.00 which was too expensive. What I do next time is just cram everything in my hand luggage which is quite possible.

5. purl3agony profile image97
    purl3agonyposted 2 years ago

I pay the fee.  I can't always lift my carry on into the overhead compartment and when I'm traveling alone, I can't assume that someone else on the plane will help me put up and take down my bag.  Often, when I'm traveling with my husband, we'll just share one checked bag to keep the fees down.

6. writerjrose profile image78
    writerjroseposted 2 years ago

I do not like checking a separate bag in, mainly because I fear my luggage will get lost. I prefer to pack all my stuff into my carry on luggage, this forces me to pack much lighter. Plus, I can travel in peace knowing my stuff is with me.

7. Yo its Jo profile image61
    Yo its Joposted 2 years ago

depending on the trip. I suggest that if you can, fit it all in one carry on, except if you are planning a big trip.

8. Marie Flint profile image91
    Marie Flintposted 2 years ago

I haven't flown for a long time, either, but I possess as few things as possible by nature. Naturally when I travel, I only take what I feel is absolutely necessary, and that's not much.

First of all, I think you're fortunate to be able to fly. I wanted to visit my daughter this summer, but just didn't have the means. So, be grateful for your abundance. I also think you help the airline, whichever one it was, by filling out a "How are we doing?" or complaint card stating how you felt about the lack of space on the plane.

Whether those people paid baggage fees or not is irrelevant. The problem has more to do with the mass media and consciousness that seems to insist we have more than we need, whether it be cars, clothes, or whatever or we are a not a normal person contributing to the economic growth of our society.

Be proud of yourself for adhering wisely to the airline's allotment of carry-ons (a plane has weight limits for safety reasons), state your preference in a form of feedback so the airline can improve its customer service, and let God handle the rest. Eventually, maybe it will take several decades, people will mature and lose the sense of pressure to take 21 outfits for a 10-day trip that, in their present state, they probably won't even enjoy because of the stress they're carrying (another carry-on, an invisible one at that).

God bless you and take care!

9. islandangler profile image39
    islandanglerposted 2 years ago

Depends on the duration of the trip.  For trip of up to 5 days, I am happy to fit everything into my carry on.  make sure you have the biggest carry on the airline would allow and as much as possible avoid taking bulky clothes.

working