jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

When should you begin litter box training for kittens?

1. SunShineSnow profile image72
    SunShineSnowposted 8 years ago

When should you begin litter box training for kittens?

My kittens are four weeks old now.

2. KT pdx profile image81
    KT pdxposted 8 years ago

Get a small litterbox (boxes made for ferrets work well for kittens) and put about an inch of litter in it.  Don't use clumping litter, as it can get stuck in kitten paw pads.  Put a box in each room the kittens are allowed in, so they don't have to go far to "go".

Pick them up, one by one, and put them in the box.  They'll probably jump right out, but they'll know where it is then.  Next time they look like they are going to squat or look like they need to use it, put them in the box.  Sometimes it helps to move their paws to dig.

They'll get the idea easily, since it's instinct.  If/when they have accidents, rub their noses in the pee and then immediately put them in the box.

3. vlkinpa profile image61
    vlkinpaposted 8 years ago

I've had many kittens over the years.  Put a litter box out for them, show the kitten where it is and that's it.  I've never had a kitten or cat do their business anywhere but in the litter box unless they were sick and I've never punished a cat for having an accident.

4. profile image48
    tinkerbell09posted 8 years ago

You should start potty training kitties when they can walk and see where their going.  Or, as soon as you notice that the momma cat has stopped cleaning up their waste.  I'd also move them close to the litter box, or move it close to them and put them in it like the others said.  Now would be the perfect time or they will mess everywhere.

Closed to reply

working