jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What kind of kitten should my kids get? they are 6 and 18mo. Family cat.

1. hinckles koma profile image63
    hinckles komaposted 8 years ago

What kind of kitten should my kids get? they are 6 and 18mo. Family cat.

I want to get a kitten breed.  My kids really want one. I don't know which one will be perfect.

2. donotfear profile image88
    donotfearposted 8 years ago

Go to the local animal shelter and get those babies a plain ole' domestic shorthair cat, meaning a mixed breed. Let em pick it out themselves. Don't get a Siamese! Every Siamese I had was mean as all get-out! Something cute and orange is my preferance.  Calicos are nice.  The animal shelters are ALWAYS overrun with cats. Please adopt!

3. hinckles koma profile image63
    hinckles komaposted 8 years ago

Iam thinking i want the cat to be a maincoon i heard they are not bad with kids i wonder how do pure breeds different  from mix as in terms making the right pet with kids especially.  Iam afraid to adopt because what if she attacks the kids one fine day. i want to be sure.

4. OhKathryn profile image61
    OhKathrynposted 8 years ago

She is right, go to a local animal shelter and save a cats life. Growing up with animals my whole life I've learned that when animals grow up with kids they become protective and learn what is right and what is wrong. Getting a kitten right off they will not know better and will be very playful (scratching and biting), I use the squirt bottle method early on for that. However, I have seen many of my friends with purebreds and mixes that didn't grow up with children so they don't know how to handle them and it ends up not good, but my friends with children and cats (purebred or mixed) they learned to behave when around a baby or young child. My cats never had kids around them or strangers so they tend to attack and I don't let them near my niece or nephew for that reason. There is no difference in getting a purebred or a mix when it comes to kittens and children, the only difference is getting one from a shelter will save a cats life.

Closed to reply

working