jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you stop your dog from chewing on rocks?

1. AEvans profile image81
    AEvansposted 8 years ago

How do you stop your dog from chewing on rocks?

Our Cocker Spaniel is constantly chasing and chewing on rocks he has completed refused to play with his balls. What can I do to stop this bad habit , it is driving us insane!

2. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 8 years ago

well i watched a programme all about this lately, the dog whisperer has the answer....... in the dog that they used on t.v. the dog had some deep rooted emotional problem can u believe, it took them a while but they sorted it out

i will look on hub pages and see if the dog whisperer has put any help notes about this problem, and of course you could too...

3. lisakprice profile image55
    lisakpriceposted 8 years ago

I don't know how old your dog is, but puppies, as you know, love to chew on everything.  If your dog is only chewing on rocks, I would suggest that this is either just a habit, or possibly a vitamin or mineral deficiency.  Animals - even domesticated ones - have the inherent ability to self-medicate.  Dogs will eat grass when they have a belly ache to make themselves vomit.  Wild horses will bash their hooves against boulders and trees to trim their hooves; and they know which plants to eat in the wild to rid themselves of internal parasites.  I just wonder if your dog's instincts are trying to tell you something.  You may want to check with your vet.

4. dana825 profile image57
    dana825posted 8 years ago

First things first, make sure your dog isn't chewing on the rocks because there is something wrong with his teeth. Gum infections and bad teeth can actually be pretty serious.
    If all is well with your dog's teeth, try bringing your dog with you to petsmart or petco, wherever you get your dog toys at. That way you can let it choose toys. My dog chose the only toy that he has not managed to tear apart, so maybe your dog just does not care about a ball. All dogs are different, just like people.

5. thebluestar profile image79
    thebluestarposted 7 years ago

My springer spaniel Bouncer has chewed and chased rocks all his life and it is so annoying when you clip a stone with you foot out walking to be draged at great speed whilst he retrieves it.

Bouncer has always been a jealous dog and has to be centre of attention. Fortuneately he does like balls but I have to make sure to give him his ball to carry before leaving the house. I believe it is a comfort ball and stops him chasing and chewing stones. He gets lots of attention to which he thrives on.

6. schoolmarm profile image36
    schoolmarmposted 7 years ago

One of my dogs loves rocks too! He won't chew on a regular toy but he will pick up a rock anywhere - he also loves plastic clothes hangers. I don't understand - but in my dogs case it wasn't an illness - just his preference. It would be wise to check with your vet anyways.