jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How to I stop my son from chewing food with his front teeth?

1. flacoinohio profile image81
    flacoinohioposted 6 years ago

How to I stop my son from chewing food with his front teeth?

He predominently chews food with his front teeth and they are showing significant signs of wear.  He will be losing his baby teeth soon and I am concerned that he will damage his adult teeth by continuing to chew with his front teeth.

2. forall profile image60
    forallposted 6 years ago

There is a very old and traditional solution. I don't know if it suits you because I don't go in its favor much. Tell him that if he keeps chewing food with his front teeth, he will loose them. Once he looses his 1st baby tooth, he will think it is because of this and try to forget his habit.

I hope I was helpful.

3. flacoinohio profile image81
    flacoinohioposted 6 years ago

I can test it and see what happens, thanks.

4. darrensurrey profile image75
    darrensurreyposted 6 years ago

Not really an answer but you're right to be worried. I have a slight tendency to do this and you can see it in my lower teeth. I guess it comes from enjoying the feeling of biting through "al dente" pasta. yikes)

5. visionandfocus profile image72
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

A visit to the dentist should put your mind to rest. The dentist can check to see if there's a physical reason why he's chewing with his front teeth more than the back ones. If it's just a habit, then he should grow out of it once his permanent teeth come through. If he's around 6 or 7 (and I presume he is because that's the age when the front baby teeth fall out), his first permanent molars should be in the process of erupting.  Once they're fully erupted, he should be able to chew on them. And no, he will not damage his adult teeth (I presume you mean the as yet unerupted front permanent teeth underneath the baby teeth?) by continuing to chew on his front baby teeth.