jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you get cats to stop chewing on electrical cords?

1. CMENYART1 profile image60
    CMENYART1posted 5 years ago

How do you get cats to stop chewing on electrical cords?

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image77
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

well, you can coat them in something the cat seriously dislikes, like tobasco sauce or for our pup we used clove (we got a paper towel wet and put ground clove on it and then rubbed this up and down the cords)...or if you dont mind a little unsightliness...you can wrap your cords in vet wrap. one of the reasons cats are attracted to cords is they look very much like string, and cats are attracted to rubber and plastic...wrapping the cords in vet wrap make them a lot bulkier than any string ever was. i have a cat that will sometimes chew cords. i wrapped them in vet wrap and he never bothered them again.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Good question - I'm not a cat expert (though I love them), but I have expertise in animal training and general behavior modification. What I would do is the same I would do for any other behavior I wanted to modify:

1. Modify/manage the environment (get rid of as many cords as possible or place them in such an arrangement as to make them less accessible or attractive)
    2. Contain the cat (limit the cat's access to the cords)
    3. Give the cat something else to do and reward the cat for doing that (e.g., toys with "tails")
    4. Clicker train the cat in order to facilitate communication

4. profile image55
    consentinoposted 5 years ago

Your cat is probably bored and when kitty's are bored, they will get into all kinds of mischief, including chewing-up cords.  Look in to the cat trees,  They come in all shapes and sizes.  Believe me, the tree will keep you feline entertained for hours.
    Go online to see your best selections.

5. DubstepMaker profile image60
    DubstepMakerposted 4 years ago

one of the best ways to get cats to stop chewing on electrical cords is to cover them with this spicy spray which you can get from the pet store, it will make it not taste so good.