Why is my parakeet so aggresive?

1. Ms Re profile image58
    Ms Reposted 8 years ago

Why is my parakeet so aggresive?

She has always been this way. She killed her mate and another female parakeet by fighting them and blocking them from the food.

2. Silver Poet profile image75
    Silver Poetposted 8 years ago

If your parakeet is antisocial you need to separate her from other animals.  In some states you can get in trouble for letting one animal harm another.  It is considered neglect.

It could be she is just naturally aggressive and won't make a good pet.  There is always the odd one that doesn't turn out how we'd like it.

If you're determined to keep her (alone and in her own cage) you should give her lots of toys to keep her mind occupied.  Do not try to grab her, even when changing her from one cage to the next.  Wear leather gloves to handle her, and when possible simply put two cages door to door and shoo her into the second one, closing it behind her.

3. WaffleCheese profile image48
    WaffleCheeseposted 7 years ago

Is it pulling out its feathers as well? If that is the case then it is stress. Is it in the sun? Do you have kids poking at it or whistling at it?

In my experience it is the stress that can do it. I even wonder if it killed its mate or if it was equal stress that did it.