Is there a way to get a tax benefit for a person who is caring for a colony of c

1. profile image44
    sdugalposted 8 years ago

Is there a way to get a tax benefit for a person who is caring for a colony of cats.

My passion is animals, I trap, spay, neuter, release, find homes where I can.  I feed them daily and have for 4 years.  Some get homes others I just release back into the colony.  I get free food sometimes from friends and family but 99% of the time it's all me and last year 3 cats to be fixed and vacinated was 1,000 alone.  I have 19.  Just curiious.

2. Dark knight rides profile image72
    Dark knight ridesposted 8 years ago

It depends on how much work you want to put into it. The only way you could get any tax relief from it is if you were to set up a non-profit charity organization in your state, then make all your purchases and expenses through them. It can be very tricky to appropriately set-up and run a non-profit, so you should talk with an attorney about making sure you do what you need to and stay within the law. On the upside, it would also allow you to accept charitable donations from others. At the least, it might be worth looking into.

working