I am a religious fanatic. Does anyone really have a problem with that.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I really cannot go into my religion in depth here. But I am very religious. I do not have a religion that you can put in a glass jar and monetize or scrutinize. But I am very religious.

I believe in and practice a religion of love. No I am not perfect at love - only one man ever was and maybe some Buddhas and a Dalai Lama or so. But that is what I practice.

I go after it and try. Am I hypocritical when I fail? Probably. But that is not due to lack of effort.

I rock with people. I am a preacher man and most often I preach dogma so that we can understand that in juxtaposition with love. Perhaps I have no friends, but I have a lot of people that love me and I them.

I would like to know if you really hate me for who I am. Perhaps I could spread more love with your insights.

Please allow me to know your mind.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Whatever the concept, religion, politics, environmentalism, or its opposite, or the NRA 'gun nuts,'  I feel fanaticism is a very dangerous thing.  It leads to things such as the Al Qaeda terrorists; the McCarthy era Communist interrogations and subsequent black-listing, the Jim Jones/Guyana murder-suicide debacle, and going back in history, to the witch hunts in the early years of the USA, the infamous Spanish Inquisition and before.  There are many more examples of dangerous, rampant fanaticism throughout history, both ancient and modern; there is not space here to list them all.
      I have no problem with anyone believing whatsoever they wish.  I do have a problem with people intruding upon others' private lives and beliefs (or lack thereof).  Religion, as far as I'm concerned, should be kept within one's own house, church, and family circle.  Leave everyone else alone to live as they choose.  Preach in church; not on the street corner, and don't come knocking on my door.  I don't stand on the street corner or knocking on doors denouncing others'  beliefs and expecting them to agree with mine; I ask for only the same respect from religious folks.
      Those are my feelings on the matter.  You may or may not agree--or like it--that's fine.  However, I've said my say; I've answered the question you posed, and I will not be drawn into an argument or further discussion on the matter.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing that MsLizzy, that was very straight forward.

2. mgt28 profile image59
        mgt28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks MsLizzy. Your answer is a catch all.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
          DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Beth37, I intended to simply answer the question as straight-forwardly as possible while remaining civil.

mgt28, I'm not sure what you mean by that.  I said what I mean, and what I feel, and I don't see how I could have put it any more plainly.  But, as I said, I won't be drawn into a discussion or argument, so you take away what you will--I know what I meant, and it was not a 'catch all,' it was a detailed explanation of my opinion and feelings, just as the OP requested.

1. mgt28 profile image59
            mgt28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry if there is a misunderstanding. By catch all, I mean your reply leaves no room for further discussions, which I meant to be a positive statement. I felt no more need to discuss the merits of the original question after reading your contribution because you covered all that may be discussed.

Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I felt the same way when reading it. But then I reread it, and got just the sense that we were getting a well expressed personal opinion and for sure not a lecture or preaching.
              The catch all for me was that I have had all those opinions from time to time so it got right in to my experience.

3. Ericdierker profile image46

Very wonderful comment mslizzy. You responded just like I asked you to. But more than that. I got the immediate sense of dislike for anything fanatic and what you think that means. Thank you.

4. EncephaloiDead profile image54
        EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, not much more can be said apart from that.

2. AMAZING THINKER profile image60
      AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The thing I don't like about religions is that they separate us, and we don't even know why. Religious from non-religious, Believers from non-believers, Hindu from Muslim, Christians.

All men are the same; why should there be so many religions to separate us?

I was born a Hindu, but always found the traditions stupid. And the most funny part is they don't know why they have to do what they do. They blindly follow what the priests tell them, and even the priests don't have a clue. when I ask them, they say: "Because we are supposed to do it, and because our ancestors did it"

I believe in God, I just don't follow any religions. I do follow some good things they teach us, and leave out what I don't agree with.

I don't hate you; certainly not because of your beliefs.
      You can read my hub on this subject Science vs Religion: Truth About God and Religion

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol.  Longest explanation leading to a link to one's own page.

I am not interested in religion or Erik's take on it.  I mostly practice a religion relating to stickmen now and you can read my hub on it.

1. profile image0

Have you been watching Futurama too?

This is like an episode of the Waltons... night Mark. smile

1. AMAZING THINKER profile image60

Beth, you and Turanga Leela are so alike, are you related??

1. profile image0

No, but I do have just the one eye.

1. AMAZING THINKER profile image60

Must be hard.
                Where do you buy your sunglasses??

1. profile image0

I use a visor.

I am confused I thought this new pic, was the real you.
                    Oh forget that - I did not think of the wooden eye deal.

2. AMAZING THINKER profile image60

Your stickmen will go to hell..LOL

3. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can't think of a better religion than "Love' Eric, but the mere fact that you mentioned religion stirred the pot. Everyone should be free to believe in whatever religion they wish or believe in none if that's their choice, but if the main basis for our existence is to love our fellow man, the world will be an amazing place...be you Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, Agnostic....who cares...just love and respect one another.

Jodah, I really like words like religion. There is nothing wrong with the word. It is a fine and dandy word. But the visceral reaction that it stirs in people is just amazing.
        I was thinking about that reading your "block" article. Some folks just shiver at the word "snake".
        And hey! Since non of us are perfect why not just pick love and strive for that.

4. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think those are interconnected.

5. MarleneB profile image90
      MarleneBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No fight here, Eric. I'm on the same page as you with regard to the religion of love. As long as people let me practice my religion I have no contention with them. So, carry on, preacher man. You have my attention.

Any one who knows you is very lucky.

1. MarleneB profile image90

You are very kind, Eric. Thank you.

Maybe but the point is that we love each other.

How cool is that?

1. MarleneB profile image90

So cool. Lots of love to you, my friend.

6. MG Singh profile image75
      MG Singhposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have no problem that you are a religious fanatic, so long you are not a Muslim

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are two things in life that really can't stand.
        1. People who are intolerant of other peoples cultures.
        2. The Dutch.

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And what have the Dutch ever done to you?  tongue

2. Ericdierker profile image46

I have not heard a slight on the Dutch for 35 years. Interesting.

1. profile image0

It's a joke from Austin Powers. I really have nothing against the Dutch. One of my favourite things to say when someone make a racist or cultural joke.

7. profile image0

Did you really start a forum where you asked everyone to discuss you?

I guess I kind of did do that. The technique seems to work rather well.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

"I am a religious fanatic. Does anyone really have a problem with that."

Well...

You don't go flying planes into buildings.
    You don't go planting bombs in malls, subway stations, and so forth.
    You don't go harassing veterans' families at military funerals.

So...

No problem at all. I'm fine with it. smile

For that matter, I am fine with any philosophical construct whose basic tenets include ethics and the desire to positively contribute to society.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

amen (/ˌɑːˈmɛn/ or /ˌeɪˈmɛn/; Hebrew: אָמֵן, Tiberian ʾāmēn; Greek: ἀμήν; Arabic: آمين‎, ʾāmīn ; "So be it; truly" to that!

2. Ericdierker profile image46

I was also thinking I would put politico and sports fanatics into the pot of what I do not care for.
      Also I was thinking that a person who calls themselves a fanatic is probably not the malicious sort.

3. suzettenaples profile image87
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

Oh Eric, No I don't hate you and I don't believe anyone on HP does either.  I don't care that you are religious or a preacher.  I am not as religious as you are but you don't bother me in any way.  You believe however and whatever you wish.  That's what makes life interesting.  If anyone has a problem with it they are not a friend.  You rock Eric so don't worry about the nay Sayers!

Suzettenaples that is really nice. I love it. You just shine with good. I am coming right over to visit.

2. tillsontitan profile image83
      tillsontitanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, this may be the point...you, Eric, are a good writer and presence here.  I can't imagine anyone not liking you!!  Seems they must have a problem.

tillsonfitan, you know I am blushing.  I really hope I took a little of the boogie man out of the words fanatic and religion.
        And have I mentioned to you that you are having way toooo much fun ;-)

4. tillsontitan profile image83
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

I definitely try!  Fun is just so much fun wink

5. Dan Zynski profile image78
    Dan Zynskiposted 10 years ago

I have a friend who is a Jesus fanatic - not even the church, just Jesus. He'll insert it into every conversation.

It sounds like a thing that would get on a person's nerves, but he's very tactful and respectful at the same time. He never shoots other people down because it isn't about his religion - he just listens and adapts it to his religious understanding of things. It makes for good conversation and I don't feel pressured or disrespected. So remember that you're the fanatic?

1. profile image0

So in this case a Jesus fanatic, just means he loves Jesus. Love is the key.

The Way of Love

13 If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don’t love, I’m nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate.

2 If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.

3-7 If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.

Love never gives up.
      Love cares more for others than for self.
      Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
      Love doesn’t strut,
      Doesn’t have a swelled head,
      Doesn’t force itself on others,
      Isn’t always “me first,”
      Doesn’t fly off the handle,
      Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others,
      Doesn’t revel when others grovel,
      Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
      Puts up with anything,
      Trusts God always,
      Always looks for the best,
      Never looks back,
      But keeps going to the end.
      8-10 Love never dies. Inspired speech will be over some day; praying in tongues will end; understanding will reach its limit. We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. But when the Complete arrives, our incompletes will be canceled.

11 When I was an infant at my mother’s breast, I gurgled and cooed like any infant. When I grew up, I left those infant ways for good.

12 We don’t yet see things clearly. We’re squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won’t be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We’ll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!

13 But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.
      1 Corinthians 13
      The Message

Beth that is just really awesome. Bummer that I fail at so much so often. But I think that there are many that get real close to these ideals.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

fanaticfanatic |fəˈnatik| noun
        a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, esp. for an extreme religious or political cause.
        How could single minded zeal for love be a bad thing? Only when not tempered by logic and knowledge. For instance:
        * Over-indulging a child thinking it is love, not realizing that he needs to know the boundaries of life. (When he learns them as a child they become a permanent part of him and serve to safeguard him against folly.) It is love to teach them appropriate boundaries.
        * Raising taxes for purposes of universal welfare, not realizing that when people become dependent of the government, they become weak.(Human intelligence is supported by the effort of survival.) It is love to encourage strength and intelligence.

Cool Thank you Ms. Hill!

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
            Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank You, Mr. Dierker!

3. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Perfectly said.

I know and I know. Tooo much love for good ratings .
          e

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)