jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can i stop a dog eating poop. please.

1. profile image45
    ziggysmumposted 7 years ago

How can i stop a dog eating poop. please.

2. shibashake profile image88
    shibashakeposted 7 years ago
  3. kgnature profile image55
    kgnatureposted 7 years ago

That's such a disgusting habit!  Chihuahuas seem to be the worst for eating poop, and I have three of them.

There are several types of pills available that are supposed to make poop taste bad.  I know, you would think that it already tastes bad, but apparently not to a dog.  The ones that contain capstan seem to work  the best, and my dogs really like the pills.  They think they are treats. 

If your dogs are getting their "snacks" from the cat's litter box this won't work because cats hate the pills.  I've found that getting a covered litter box with a little flap for a door solves the problem.  Even though my little chihuahuas can get in easily they don't seem to want to.

4. Hailsale profile image62
    Hailsaleposted 7 years ago

Yuck. My last pup(nearly two at the time) had quite an obsession with eating his poo, I knew i was feeding him and was confused at the time. I did a bit of googling and only found that it comes from boredom or hunger. Great. I tried snacks and bones, walks and food but i suppose although not great advice you just hope they grow out of it.
    I will add though that using chili to stop him misbehaving did not have any effect. I did though discover white pepper. From the word go really he stopped chewing my things and although i didnt try that on his poo i believe with care it could work.
    Anyway mate good luck for the future.