jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What would you do?

1. flounderingsahm profile image71
    flounderingsahmposted 7 years ago

What would you do?

I have a 9-year old boxer with a GI infection.  While at the vets they found a growth on his thyroid and determined it was cancer.  We can do more testing to see if it can be operated on.  If it can, it may add 2 years to his life.  Boxers are not very good with anesthesia, so operating is a risk by itself.....If untreated, he has about 6 months left.  I'm so torn.

2. PAPA-BEAR profile image61
    PAPA-BEARposted 7 years ago

Tough one. At 9 he has done well, but it is going to be a rough ride ahead, and not one that he will understand. Sometimes we only see it from a human point of view, which is our pain. Your Boxer, your friend, he will not feel well, and either way, 6 months or two years, he knows you care, and he has made a decision, can you agree with him. Give him all the TLC you can, 6 months is long enough with so many things against him.

3. ExpandYourMind profile image74
    ExpandYourMindposted 7 years ago

Would it be 2 years of pain and reduced mobility or 2 good years.  It's a hard decision -- my prayers are with you.

4. TheWicklessCandle profile image52
    TheWicklessCandleposted 7 years ago

Quality of life is now non-existent. The humane thing to do is to put him down peacefully and with dignity.

working