I have a weenie dog that bolts out the front door every chance he gets... I dont

1. profile image47
    stacy3330posted 7 years ago

I have a weenie dog that bolts out the front door every chance he gets... I dont know what i can...

do to break this i have tried walks and even tried a rolled up paper but nothing works

2. nlhouser profile image60
    nlhouserposted 7 years ago

Little doxies were originally bred to be hunters, and anything beyond that front door will always be a challenge. It's a natural thing for dachshunds to want to run after what they consider "prey" or "game" even if it is pretend for them.

Put a leash on him before opening the door, as any dog will bolt out of uncontrolled even if they are not doxies unless well trained. When you reach for the leash say "Out" when doing so, and make him sit by pushing down on his little butt before putting the leash on. Only then open the door. After awhile he will learn. When done with the walk, make sure you bring him in - shut the door, make him sit down again and remove the leash. Reverse and repeat. Over time the little guy will pick it up...just be patient and kind...it gets more attention from them.

3. Pearldiver profile image80
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

Mark me down if you like for being honest if you like.... but:

There are two things that YOU Have to do....

1)  Help him expand his territory quietly, by walking him out the BACK Door on a leash. walking Behind you.... before you allow him to check out the front on his own.

2)  Help him like you more than he does..... In this way, he won't Run Away from you.

working