jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

How can we keep the cat from leaving dead animals in front of our door??

1. Ciel Clark profile image72
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

How can we keep the cat from leaving dead animals in front of our door??

One of our cats regularly kills and leaves small animals on our front or back steps-- any tips for getting him to leave the carcasses somewhere else?

2. Ellandriel profile image73
    Ellandrielposted 5 years ago

They do that to show they are useful and work for the owners...
    I deal with it on daily bases, i don't mind and can't advice on that! sad sorry

Ciel Clarkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

A couple of weeks ago we had a package delivery and when I opened the door I saw the guy had had to lean over to reach the bell because there were so many body parts on our doormat.  Yikes!  He didn't mention it, but it did look quite disturbing!

3. Bretsuki profile image78
    Bretsukiposted 5 years ago

Your cat sees you as its kittens and in need of feeding.

This behaviour shows your cats wild instincts for caring are very strong. There is very little that you can do. Neutering may help so have a word with your veterinaey surgeon about that.
    I know it can be troubling to find dead animals or birds presented on your doorstep. It is however a survival instinct for your cat, some people may term that as affection too. The present is food for your cats family, rather than selfishly eating it all himself he is bring it home to share so the family can eat and live.

Yes, I can tell he is proud and seems confused when I throw the bodies away!  The worst one was going into the garage with bare feet and skidding on a partially eaten creature...  (He is neutered).

4. faith_love_hope32 profile image61
    faith_love_hope32posted 5 years ago

I agree with the other people that commented.  It's instinct for cats to do this.  Another reason they do it is they are bringing them to you to make you proud.  Like an offering.  Looks like you have yourself a good kitty.  I love a cat with hunter instincts.  If a mouse or bug ever gets into your home by chance then you'll be thankful you have a hunter kitty lol.  I really don't think there's a way to stop this though.

We definitely don't have a problem with rodents around here!  But wish he would leave the birds and bats alone.  (Our other cat can't even catch bugs smile

5. OldRoses profile image94
    OldRosesposted 5 years ago

Keep your cat indoors.  It's better for them.  Indoor cats are healthier and live longer than outdoor cats.  It also helps the local wildlife by preventing cats from hunting and killing them.  One of the biggest reasons why many bird populations are getting smaller is due to hunting by cats.

I really don't want to keep our cats inside--  I do have friends who prefer this, but I feel lit's a sad life for cats in the country..  I agree about the birds-- but it's true I don't want mice around the house...  Hmmm

6. dazzlede profile image60
    dazzledeposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/3540857_f260.jpg

Well I see that everyone has already told you the basic fact that they are getting this as a form of gift for you.
    What we did was before anything was to teach our cat "NO". You can do this (it will take some time though) by saying no and spraying water at the cat the same time. But remember only for activities when you actually want to stop him. Once he is able to get the meaning of no, say it a few times when he is getting the dead animal. They only need your approval to show that they do give back some things smile and then he should ideally take it away and play with it.
    Let me know how successful this is.
    http://dazzlede.hubpages.com/hub/My-natural-alarm

7. jemmamcg profile image61
    jemmamcgposted 5 years ago

Sprinkle Olbas Oil on teabags and leave them on your front or back steps or even just sprinkle some on your steps. My mum often puts them in the garden to stop cats from peeing there or killing the birds.

working