jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Have you ever heard of medical alert dogs?

1. dingyskipper profile image66
    dingyskipperposted 7 years ago

Have you ever heard of medical alert dogs?

I have just seen a dog called Shirley on TV, she is a medical alert dog for a diabetic girl, dogs are also being trained to detect cancer and such. There are only 10 of these dogs in the UK

2. katkin profile image59
    katkinposted 7 years ago

Yes, I have heard of these dogs, I read an article a couple of years ago about a dog who had detected cancer,but this is the first time i've heard of dogs being used for diabetics. I watched the same TV progrmme! I think this is wonderful - another way a dogs is 'mans best friend'!

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Yes, medical alert dogs have been used for quite some time for people who might otherwise not be able to live independently. They are often used for people at a serious risk of heart failure, elderly people who might fall and need assistance, etc. The only medical alert dog I know personally is for an epileptic, and they certainly are very effective at helping keep their humans safe smile. Cancer dogs, on the other hand, are relatively new...I think just in the last three years or so that they've been trained.

4. profile image44
    dogstohelpposted 7 years ago

Medical Alert dogs can be trained to alert to all kinds of medical issues (epilepsy, diabetic issues, cancer, migraines, panic attacks, etc.).  Check out Dogs4Diabetics.com or Clickincanines.com for more info on diabetic alert dogs.

5. CarolineChicago profile image83
    CarolineChicagoposted 7 years ago

Yes, I've heard of these amazing dogs. There is a woman on Facebook who I friended through our Great Pyrenee dogs (there's a huge Great Pyr community on FB). Her Pyr is actually a medical alert dog. I believe this woman has spinal bifada and some other serious ailments. Her Pyr helps her walk when she weakens, among other tasks. Amazing work these dogs do.

6. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Yes, dogs can be trained to alert to scents, such as the scent in the perspiration of a person with low blood sugar due to diabetes. Other animals can be trained as well. In Africa, rats are trained to detect tuberculosis: http://www.apopo.org/cms.php?cmsid=107

Trained response dogs are probably more reliable though, as well as easier to train. For example, there are seizure response dogs and seizure alert dogs. Seizure response dogs are trained how to respond to a seizure, whereas alert dogs are trained to alert a person to an oncoming seizure.

working