Should dogs have shock collars?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (43 posts)
  1. FactAndFiction profile image61
    FactAndFictionposted 13 years ago

I don't think shock collars are fair. Would you like to be shocked whenever you did something wrong? And as for electric fences, why not put up a normal fence, like a picket fence, so your view is not blocked? Or just don't get a dog!

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i don't think anyone says dogs "should" have shock collars like it is a good thing.  But if someone has, for some reason like keeping their job, to move to any area without fences or with things that make the dog bark, I can imagine any short-term training tool might in some cases be better than euthanising the dog.

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cruelty to animals (same as to people) never brings good results. Never. Dogs by nature are very devoted to a man creatures. They can be trained and become wonderful human helpers. Or they can be stupid, obnoxious and dangerous, same as the stupid human being who handles them. In that case he needs the shock collar, not the dogs. Though certain breeds should not be around small children, and if the dog is kept to scare people away - he should be behind a fence.

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it is unfair to compare humans to dogs. hmm

1. Arthur Fontes profile image75
        Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True, I definitely like dogs more then most of the people I meet.  smile

1. Cagsil profile image71

lol lol lol lol lol

2. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

3. profile image0

4. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Aiden Roberts profile image68
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

Agree with dogs are generally more reliable and likeable than people smile

Should shock collars be used, in a word "no".

I can't think of any circumstance were it would be neccassary, a well trained dog would have no need for it and a badly behaved dog would only learn that ignoring you hurts, this is hardly a sound basis for a beneficial mutual relationship.

There was a time when shock treatment was routinely used to stop people with mental health issues being "mental" and to stop gay people being "gay".

I have yet to read any empirical evidence that proved it worked, I guess dogs are no different.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some politics might benefit from shock treatment, but who am I to judge?..

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The empirical evidence that it works does existed in peer-reviewed journals, although the same journals generally show positive training is more effective or less aversive to the dog.  There is a different between 'effective' and 'desirable'.  Undesirable techniques that are unpleasant for the dog can be effective and have the advantage of being more rapid.

I have dealt with a case where a dog needed to be inhibited from barking with a few days to avoid eviction of the family or surrender of the dog to a shelter where euthanasia was almost certain.  We used a citronella collar which is about as aversive as a shock collar for half a day to save the dog, it discharged three times and barking ceased.  So I can see that in some cases it might be the lesser evil.

For the record this is the only time I used aversive training.  But it is the reason I would never say never.

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

I have one around my garage door. Yes, it made them howl and cry a lot at first (3 of them) but it would be worse for them to get hit by a car. Plus, they scare the hell out of strangers. Oh, I tried it on me first. Smarts real good too. I don't usually even need to put the collar on them now.
    Some places are just not good for fences and I do not want my dogs out front terrorizing the pedestrians. they have a backyard fenced in and have access to  my garage.

1. Beth100 profile image71
      Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's the same concept with horses/cattle and electrical fences.  Once zapped, they learn to stay away.  I turned the fencing off after one week and they never ventured near it again.

I see your point, CC.  But for me, I don't believe in it for the dogs.

2. profile image0

Why own a dog if you are going to be cruel?!

1. allbreeds profile image58
        allbreedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Controlling a dog.Training a dog.Same thing
        .Dont you want to be in CONTROL of your dog?
        Who said it was cruel?
        Are prong collars cruel? Haltis cruel?
        Is having your dog run out the open gate onto the road cruel?
        Training a dog can consist of many training aids to get the job done.What works for one dog doesnt neccesarilly work for another so each to their own

4. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

They're a quick tool that does not teach the dog anything other than he cannot do something WHILE the collar is on. As soon as you think the dog has learned not to do something and you remove the collar, the dog will do it again because he's learned not to do the behavior with the collar.

Basically, it's a way to train them to do something when they know they won't get in trouble.

Kind of like how dogs destroy the trash can when you're not home because if you're not home, there's no one there to stop them. Shock collars just train dogs to think smart.

There's no long term training with these collars and negative punishment training.

5. Beth100 profile image71
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

I suggest the owner try it on first and have the dog press the button a few hundred times.  Then, the owner can decide.  I bet the answer will be a NO.  smile

1. Cagsil profile image71

*slaps hand to head and shakes head back and forth* lol lol

2. alternate poet profile image68
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is actually the best idea here yet - dogs do what they are trained to do, and they learn from the owner and family.  If the dog is misbehaving it is lack of proper training or some picked up trait from its owners - if the owner also wore a reciprocal collar they would share the training experience and would think carefuly before using the button.  Both would learn far more quickly then and the whole torturing your pet thing would be resolved.

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

Beth and Whitney dint read mine. It does work if properly done.

1. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope... But it's not effective for long term goals. Punishment training and adversive training is not ideal, unless you use it 100% to the tee.

2. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I kinda agree with Charlie here. I have one, and yes, hubby DID try it out on himself first. He adjusted it so that it just gave a "tingle" instead of a "shock." Our dogs quickly learned where their boundaries are. Now we don't have to worry about their running into the street. In fact, we don't even have to use the collar on one of them anymore - and he still NEVER leaves the yard. I can now let them out together to run and play, and they stay within their boundaries. We never have to use the "tingle" anymore, either. For the more stubborn dog, the "beep" is sufficient, and we rarely even have to use it. I now use positive reinforcement.

We thought about fencing in the yard, but we'd have to have an eight-feet-tall fence with concertina wire at the top to keep in Great Danes. lol

7. profile image0
    Lecieposted 13 years ago

you don't need a shock collar. just have that lady from animal planet, it's me or the dog, come teach you how to handle situations with your dog. she always trains the human first because dogs do usually follow our example.

8. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

“Should dogs have shock collars?”

I can’t speak as to dogs, but there are a few bipeds I can think of…

9. mrfluffy profile image61
    mrfluffyposted 13 years ago

Dogs not sure, some politicians yes if I can set the level. lol *G*

10. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

I think inflicting pain on anything or anyone for them to do as you think they should is cruel! Believe it or not animals do feel pain!

11. jessicab profile image61
    jessicabposted 13 years ago

I think thats more like abuse.

12. shibashake profile image84
    shibashakeposted 13 years ago

I did consider using a shock collar when I got my first dog. He is a very stubborn and independent dog, so it was difficult to train him initially. However, I decided against the use of shock collars after I read some of the studies that have been performed on their use.

In particular, shock collars *can* cause increased aggression in dogs and reduce quality of life by increasing stress. Often, the dog does not know where the shock comes from and how to stop the shocks from happening. This causes high stress levels, and may even cause the dog to respond with aggression.

For example, Polsky's study on electric fences showed dogs becoming aggressive with people "over and beyond their normal behavior". Every time someone walks by, the dog goes to investigate and gets shocked for his trouble. In this way he starts to associate the shock with the person - which does not bring good results. Automatic timing often does not equate to correct timing.

This is not to say that shock collars will never work - but it is a risky proposition and especially so when used in an unsupervised automatic setting.

13. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

I think using a shock collar is abuse! Why don't we just go ahead and put shock collars on all our children too??? I find it sad to see that people have used this on their animals! I think the owners should have to put the collars on and use the full "shock" on themselves when they step out of line! This is why animals attack people... because we inflict pain on them! I've owned many, many dogs... stubborns as well. I've never used any form of "pain" to enforce my dogs! I trained them with treats and love! And in the end it's the human's response to the animal's behavior that either corrected or enfluinced future behaviors!  It's up to the owners to be take the time to train an animal... inflicting pain is torture and the lazy way out!

14. Vanmil profile image61
    Vanmilposted 13 years ago

My ex in-laws used shock collars to keep the two dogs on their property, although i dont like the idea of such, in this case, it was needed as a lesser evil. Living on acreage subject to "farmers law" there were threats towards the dogs that they would be shot if they came near the neighbours sheep. I also remember trying to catch one of the dogs down the street and was terrified when he was almost run over as he thought i was playing a game with him whilst i was following him down the main road!!

1. libby101a profile image60
      libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I used fences to keep my outside dogs inside my property... it worked well! My neighbors had cows and horses and my larger dog always chased them! I was told the same thing... if my dog came back on their property he would be shot... so I fenced and ensured the dog couldn't get back out. And it worked! I wouldn't even consider shocking him. Sure a shock treatment will work... but is it moral? A fence works the same and it is not going to cause pain!

BTW: I had a horse myself and kept him on the backside of the property fenced!

15. Tirzah Laughs profile image61
    Tirzah Laughsposted 13 years ago

Some neighborhoods forbid above ground fencing so underground is your only choice.   

And a proper underground fence with a 'shock collar' will beep to warn the dog, some even vibrate.  Your yard should have flags up for the dog to have a visual reminder as well.

These collars have settings.  Most go up to five.  Most dogs stay on a 1 or a two.

My friends have a dog that is an escape artist.  He escaped from a six foot fence, an 8th foot fence.  The even replaced the wooden fence with chain fencing 8 feet  high.  They put in no dig screens under ground.

You know what?  Every time they let him out to pee, he'd escape.  They'd get a 120 dollar fine if the dog warden picked him up and he was out in a heavily traffic'd neighborhood.

This dog was intense, energetic and middle aged.   People were not going to line up to adopt him.

So they finally put in an underground fence and you know what?  It actually worked.  He stopped escaping.

The neighbors stopped writing complaints and the money they spent on fencing and the 2 grand they spent on trainers and escape proofing their yard was wasted.

This dog was going to end up put down or with an shock collar. 

Sometimes the hard choice is your only choice. Never say never.

1. libby101a profile image60
      libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I get your point...but still.. If he was an inside dog why not take him out on a leash??? My inside dogs, before I fenced, I took them out on leashes.

1. Tirzah Laughs profile image61
        Tirzah Laughsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because he's a thirty pound JRT mix with large amounts of energy. He gets worked up in the house and his owners are aging.    They've done everything to keep him in and he's just impossible.  The reason they have him is that his first owners couldn't keep him in the yard either and decided to rehome him.   This was his second and last chance.

16. b. Malin profile image66
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

Well I guess if it's really necessary....My two dogs (many years ago) Burt & Brandy were great animals.  Brandy was a Belgium Shepard and Burt wa such a mut....but so loving.  Neither needed a Shock collar...They had each other's backs, and most the time well behaved...except if we were walking and a neighbor stopped to talk...Then they knew how to carry on...until I moved on with them. They had me well trained!

Now on the other hand, there are a lot of PEOPLE out there who could certainly benefit from wearing a SHOCK COLLAR.... don't you think?

1. Tirzah Laughs profile image61
      Tirzah Laughsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most dog problems are due to the owners, not the dogs.  But occasionally you get a dog that comes with problems.

smile)))

2. allbreeds profile image58
      allbreedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes sometimes they are necessary.And they work.

17. animallover247 profile image60
    animallover247posted 13 years ago

of course not animals should have rights!!!! and if u think so to u should vist my blog  its all about  stoping animal cruelty

18. animallover247 profile image60
    animallover247posted 13 years ago

should'nt animals have rights that is what i think i hope u do too  GO ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. patdmania profile image60
    patdmaniaposted 13 years ago

Shock collars are a great invention.  Sure they might get shocked once or twice before they learn.  It only lasts a second or two and can save your dogs life.  I am not allowed to have fences at my house.  The only way to keep them in the yard is with a shock collar.  They are great with it.  They don't go anywhere they are not supposed to go, including the street where they can get hit by a car.

20. Andrea Hanly profile image56
    Andrea Hanlyposted 13 years ago

Responsibility comes with being a pet owner. If people are not willing to take the time to properly train their pet, they should not get a pet in the first place. How about parents put shock collars on their infants to potty train them? crazy right? Well pet lovers think of pets as part of the family and even if they are not on a par with humans, shocking them into submission is not the answer.

21. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

That assumes that even the mildest shock is more abussive than a verbal scolding or time out--which I would dispute.  Between a person who used an invisible fence while they are home and one who crates their dog while they are at work all day, I know which I think is worse.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)