jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

I have hedgehogs that have returnrd to my orchard h what can I do to protect the

1. profile image45
    Janniposted 7 years ago

I have hedgehogs that have returnrd to my orchard h what can I do to protect them? I have 2 dogs...

and several cats.

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

nothing, hedgehogs are well defended and have no natural predators.  If your dogs or cats get a spine in the nose or paw, they wil soon back off, I'd worry more about protecting your pets from the hedgehogs:-)

3. Merlin Fraser profile image78
    Merlin Fraserposted 7 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Hedgehogs are well suited to protecting themselves.

I doubt a cat would verture too close, OK maybe out of curiousity but that's all.  As for the dogs, I had a German Shepard pup who thought it was fun to bat the hedgehog along the ground when it rolled up into a ball.

A sharp prick on the nose taught him how to show a bit of respect.

It's also a good idea to keep pets well away from hedgehogs they can be flea ridden little beasts....

we had a rabbit/dog proof veg garden I moved the hege hogs in their built them a home made sure they had a source of fresh water and the occassional free meal, they love cat food....
    and they help me with my slug problem.

4. profile image45
    Janniposted 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply however I have no water supply near where they are, how much water do  they need or do they get enough from their food?
    I don't  have this prtection, I think that they have made their protective home in a small wood pile maybe if I put the food and water supply inside and made it doggie proof (hmm),then the dogs couldn't reach it???

5. Bard of Ely profile image86
    Bard of Elyposted 7 years ago

Well, it's unlikely the dogs will harm them but rather the reverse they may well get hurt by the hedgehog's spines if they attack them!  It's a difficult situation though because all the animals are likely to encounter one another.
    All you can do really is keep the dogs inside after dark when the hedgehogs are likely to be out. I would think the cats would quickly learn to leave them alone.