jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

When I praise my dog, she hangs her head. More praise, the lower her head goes.

1. profile image43
    snowflake9posted 7 years ago

When I praise my dog, she hangs her head.  More praise, the lower her head goes.  what is she saying

She seems happy and to understand she is being praised, but her head goes way down.  Is this a doggy way of saying "Thanks"?

2. profile image0
    mumeekrazeposted 7 years ago

Well to tell you the truth, when I praise my dog for doing good. He doesn't hold his head down. Hes more excited. But in your case, he might be afraid of something he done bad in the past and you are rewarding him for doing good the next time. Dogs know when they had been bad. I hope this answer your question.

3. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Good Day snowflake

Maybe she is just "blushng," being modest. Perhaps she's embarassed in an almost human kind of way. "Aww shucks, it weren't nothing."

4. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Is she generally shy? If she's lowering her head while whapping her tail on the ground, she's likely just shy and not sure what to do with the attention...try quieter forms of praise that involve more physical contact and less vocalizing. If she's lowering her head without moving her tail, or curling her tail around herself or tucking it between her legs, then she's frightened. In the case of fright...how much of her history do you know, and how long have you had her? Many shelter rescues or dogs obtained at older ages have been exposed to abuse, and the effects still linger. On the other hand, if she's a shy dog and hasn't gotten to know you very well, she may be afraid simply because she's not sure what to expect from you.

5. Texas Lady profile image57
    Texas Ladyposted 7 years ago

Oh, bless her little heart.  Maybe she's just shy at accepting compliments, or maybe she's just being cute!  What a little sweetie she must be!

6. profile image56
    consentinoposted 6 years ago

Are you praising her by pointing your finger at her?  Are you standing up while you are praising your dog?  If so, you dog my be taking it as a scolding instead of a praise.
    You may be already doing this, but, I would hold her in my arms and pet and praise her (if she is a small dog).  Otherwise, get down to your pets level and hug and pet and praise.

www.petsareagift.com

working