jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I bought a Bearded Dragon 2 days ago. So, i got a few Qs. I bought the little gu

1. profile image45
    jsully93posted 7 years ago

I bought a Bearded Dragon 2 days ago. So, i got a few Qs.
    I bought the little guy at a pet...

store, and the employee that i was talking to about Tyson (my BD) said he was no older than 4 months. He's about 8 inches long. Does that length sound like a 4 month year old BD to you?
    I'm also a little bit worried because he's not eating any veggies or fruits. He'll devour meal worms, and tends to eat the crickets i feed him. Should i be worried about  his lack of veggie appetite?
    And last I never see him around his waterbowl. I spray his greens with water so that if he ever does eat them he'll get hydrated. What should i do about these things?

2. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

The length could be 4 months, as all BDs grow at different paces. My female was about 8 inches at 8 weeks, give or take, but that doesn't mean that yours isn't 4 months. The pet store doesn't know because they buy from wholesalers who don't give them any information about what they're sending.

You'll want to do lukewarm soaks a few times a day, as not many actually use the water bowl. Spraying the veggies is a good idea, as well.

It may take time, as most pet store reptiles aren't being cared for like they should, and many actually have parasites or other illnesses, which is why it's generally not a good idea to by from a pet store.

Otherwise, keep offering the veggies daily. You may have to cut back on the insects so that the belly isn't full from them, making more room for the veggies.  Try an assortment of things, as well, don't just offer one thing.

3. Crewman6 profile image73
    Crewman6posted 7 years ago

Whitney has good advice - I'd like to add, ours was very picky, and required us to cut fruit up for her (She liked Bananas best) and present it on a finger so she could grab it easier.  You might try that with your veggies.  Take care, she sometimes accidentally bit the finger on the hand that fed her... no harm done, but kind of scary!

4. profile image46
    fluffymybabyposted 7 years ago

dont worry about it when i got my bd he was abiut 4 months and he hardly would eat veg but he soon started eating them