I have a large dog who is 3 years old. Months ago he slowly developed a limp (f

1. profile image45
    HMWposted 7 years ago

I have a large dog who is 3 years old.  Months ago he slowly developed a limp (front left leg)...

which became quite severe.  I took him to the vet and was given an anti inflammatory.  I helped and he was problem free for a while.  However, since then he slowly developed a limp in the other leg now (front right).  It's getting really bad and he avoids putting any weight on it.  In fact, he won't get up unless he has to which is uncharacteristic of him.  I'm going to get him another anti inflammatory just as I did the first time.  X-Rays are VERY expensive where I live.  When I do see him try to walk on it it reminds me of when your foot falls asleep.  It just seems like he can't DO anythin

2. ExpandYourMind profile image73
    ExpandYourMindposted 7 years ago

Do you have a college with a veterinary clinic close to you.  They may examine your dog for a low cost.  If not, try to get him to a vet; try another if you are not comfortable with the first one.    Three seems pretty young for this type of problem.  Good luck.

3. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 7 years ago

I would have him x-rayed for elbow dysplasia and other potential disorders causing limping.
    Here is a helpful hub:

Have you considered getting pet insurance? This may help cut costs if you pay monthly premiums generally averaging 30-40 dollars a month.