I want to get a sun conure and i also want to train it to fly out side but still

1. profile image46
    sunconureloverposted 7 years ago

I want to get a sun conure and i also want to train it to fly out side but still come to me. i...

know that if you get them very young you can train them to fly and come to you but, how do you teach them to fly? and also i have hawks near my house, so how do i train my conure to get away from them? and lastly, i have to go to school in the morning and i dont come home till around 4ish depending if i have sports or not, so how do i keep from letting it think im neglicting it?? thanks!

2. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

First, if there are hawks and other predators nearby then it's not a good idea to have a pet flying outside. Hawks fly above a prey bird's line of sight and drop much faster than the bird could get away, so the pet bird can't be trained to simply stay away from them. If a hawk targets it, that's probably it for the bird. Around here we have hawks, falcons, and eagles that often target inhabited areas because they've discovered that small pets such as puppies/small dogs, kittens/cats, and guinea pigs are easy prey. As far as time for it, I'm not sure how much time is specifically recommended for a conure, but if you have a few hours in the evening to spend with it (and make sure that you always do) then it should be fine.

3. mandolynn profile image55
    mandolynnposted 7 years ago

I never recommend allowing a pet bird flight, unless it's in a flight cage. It's not worth the risk. If you're really set against clipping it's wings, you can get a flight suit. That way it won't be able to get too far away from you to get hurt. If you've done your research on Suns, you'll know that they are quite demanding little guys. They are lots of fun, but if you live in an apartment and are not home during the day, you're going to get lots of complaints. The best thing you can do for a parrot left alone all day is make sure it has lots of fun and interesting toys, and switch them out every week or two with new ones. I play the radio or tv for my parrot, just so she feels like theres someone with her.