jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

My golden retriever seems to be constipated and she poops but not enough it seem

1. profile image48
    kathijoposted 7 years ago

My golden retriever seems to be constipated and she poops but not enough it seems any suggestions?

2. Tirzah Laughs profile image81
    Tirzah Laughsposted 7 years ago

Well you should have a vet check her out.

But if she's going but only a little bit or in hard balls, she may need more fiber in her diet.

I'd really take a close look at her dog food.  It may need to be changed.

Until then, you can offer her high fiber treats like green beans.   They have no nutritional value but they make your dog feel full and help them poo.

If that doesn't work, see if your vet will okay giving her some Metamucil or Karo syrup.  But you should okay that with a vet before hand.

If you do metamucil, start with a half a teaspoon twice a day, in addition to giving plenty of water.  *ONLY WITH YOUR VET's PERMISSION.

Increase the dog's exercise.

And really take a look at her food.  My Pap when she was younger had difficulty pooping and I found her food had a high corn content.  She has trouble digesting corn.

Switched food and she could poo again.

3. MarieAlice profile image77
    MarieAliceposted 7 years ago

I guess you have to check the foof you are giving  your dog, maybe is time to change it.
    Most important take your dog to the vet, that way you for sure will know what´s wrong.   Maybe is normal to get constipated once in a while... good luck and take care of your dog!!!

4. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 7 years ago

It is highly likely she isn't getting enough water! If a dog lacks fluids they become constipated! Be sure you are putting out fresh water daily and keeping an eye that it doesn't go empty.

Another thing could be the type of food you are feeding her! Truthfully anything you can buy at walmart as food is NOT good for your animals. Do a quick google and look at the ingredients... there are much healtheir foods for dog! We wouldn't feed our kids their dinner made out of fat and left over junk of an animal... plus the fillings and preservatives are horrible on an animals.

Also a golden retriever needs plenty of exercise. Just taking them out to relieve themself is not enough exercise... take her for walks at least once a day and ensure she gets to run freely somewhere everyday. Hopefully you have a backyard or can take her somewhere enclosed or a park. Exercise is very important with this breed!

All animals get constipated from time to time, just as humans do. However, if it persists for more than 3 days it is wise to get her to a vet to ensure it's not something that needs immediate attention!

Again if her constipation happens quite often then I would assume it's the type of food you food her. Remeber purina, puppy chow and any type of food you can buy from wal-mart is not healthy for our dogs. To get a good dog food you either have to buy it from the vet or go to a pet store. What I always recommend is Eukanuba.

working