jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

My female cat continually slaps my Golden Retriever, my cat is 5 years old, Sheb

1. catydid52 profile image72
    catydid52posted 7 years ago

My female cat continually slaps my Golden Retriever, my cat is 5 years old, Sheba is 2 years old.

Why does my cat continually slap my dog, and how do I break her of this habit. I have taught my dog, because of her size to not retaliate against the cat. I have a male cat who Fierce(female cat) slaps too, but he doesn't let her get away with it, he retaliates. But poor Sheba just keeps on getting slapped.

2. profile image0
    Travis_S_Musicposted 7 years ago

Wack the cat with a paper every time she does it. Just like dogs, kids, and anything else, cats need trained and disciplined too

3. catydid52 profile image72
    catydid52posted 7 years ago

Thanks, I just told my hubby today to an eye on Fierce and the paper ready..

4. craftybegonia profile image74
    craftybegoniaposted 7 years ago

A friend of mine had the same problem. Her dog was Pincess and her cat was Cairo. she kept saying that Cario was teaching Princess some good manners. The cat and the dog eventually figured out their own boundaries between                themselves and peace was restored. Our cat doesn't like our dogs, so we keep them separated.

5. profile image0
    Muldanianposted 7 years ago

I used to have a cat who would slap me, whenever I sang.  I think she was just being a critic in her own way.

6. Douloscross profile image60
    Douloscrossposted 7 years ago

Having both Goldens and cats my suggestion, let them sort it out.  I doubt if the Golden would hurt your cats..just maybe teach them some respect and tolerance.
    Good luck.

7. Angie Jardine profile image82
    Angie Jardineposted 6 years ago

I think it is more than likely that your cat is just asserting the correct pecking order for the household. As she presumably was there first she sees herself as the alpha animal, the lead animal in the household, and is telling the dog to back off. As she is so big next to the cat it's just a warning - it's possible the cat may feel threatened by her size.

Does the other cat win any of the fights? Most cats love a rough and tumble so maybe he retaliates because he likes a scrap anyway?

I'm not sure that your hitting the cat with a paper will be productive and may end up making things worse. The dog can look after herself ... she'll just end up avoiding the cat ... which is what the cat wants.

8. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

I wonder how you taught the dog to not retaliate against the cat. Unless the dog is chasing the cat with an intent to harm it, let the two of them work it out. Unfortunately, if your cat has her claws she may scratch your dog, hopefully only on the nose, but at least your dog would get the message then.

Closed to reply