How do you get your dog to stop barking?

1. MSal2185 profile image68
    MSal2185posted 7 years ago

How do you get your dog to stop barking?

I understand that it's natural for a dog to bark, but recently by dog will not stop barking. She just looks at me and barks all day long. I take her out, feed her, let her get exercise and everything, but nothing works! She won't listen to me when I tell her "no" or "stop." You seem to know a lot about dogs and thought you might help. Thanks!

2. Beege215e profile image66
    Beege215eposted 7 years ago

forgive me, I am not alexadry, but I can tell you a trick I used.
    I would not bother yelling NO or anything else at the dog, I would call the dog to me as I walked into another area of my house. She could see the treat in my hand and she would immediately stop barking and follow me. When I had distracted her and she came, I would give her the treatand use the word "quiet"  If she continued barking, then I would make a "shhushing sound,and walk away from her and not give her the treat.  "quiet" meant treat  "shush" meant no treat.  She got the hang of it in less than two full days. She barked, I said quiet, she got treat. after about a week, I stopped the treat, said quiet, she stopped barking, I petted her and praised her.No more barking

3. badegg profile image78
    badeggposted 7 years ago

First I would see what the problem was, if there was one, and correct it if needed. Otherwise, I would sit down with him or her and spend some quality affectionate time. This is usually what they want, and it builds a stronger bond.