jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you get your dog to stop barking for no reason at all?

1. lobobrandon profile image90
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

How do you get your dog to stop barking for no reason at all?

It's not my dog but my neighbors dog that just keeps barking all night. Too sad there's no law here that owners have to keep them quiet!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6256405_f260.jpg

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Dogs do not bark for no reason at all. They bark because they are alerting to something, they want something, they find it rewarding (e.g., it results in attention, the mailman goes away), they are bored and need more exercise, etc.

People with barking dogs can change this behavior by first determining the reason for the barking and then seeking the assistance of a reward-based trainer, preferably a clicker trainer to help modify the dog's behavior.

Your neighbor's dog may be barking because it hears something or it is lonely and wants to be inside with its family.

3. landscapeartist profile image78
    landscapeartistposted 5 years ago

I agree with Dubuquedogtrainer.  My Drake is content laying there and sleeping until something or someone distracts him.  He barks when someone is jogging past, out walking their dog or pulling into the driveway.
    He lets me know when its suppertime and when its playtime. 
    There is a reason for the barks.  You just have to figure out what that reason is.

4. wetnosedogs profile image60
    wetnosedogsposted 5 years ago

Sounds like your neighbor's dog just wants some attention. There's a dog in my neighborhood like that, barks like crazy(but is quiet at night). He's a yard away so when I'm outside, I'll tell him it's o.k. But he barks at my dogs like crazy and they don't pay him no mind.

My dogs are good at alerting me about something. My youngest dog, however, will bark like crazy at a cat. She can't get to the outside cats and I think they will hunker down in the next yard just to drive my dog goofy. She does stop barking though when I tell her to. I usually tell her she can't have the cat. Then she will stop. Sometimes I don't see what she's barking at, but it's probably a cat farther off and her eyesight is better than mine.

5. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 5 years ago

Why do dogs bark for no good reason? Truth is, very likely there is a reason but humans cannot detect it. Learn which stimuli may trigger unexplained barking in your dog. read more

working