jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is my dog peeing under my kitchen table every day when he has a doggie door?

1. profile image47
    h_spragueposted 7 years ago

Why is my dog peeing under my kitchen table every day when he has a doggie door?

I have a red nose pit bull who is about 1 1/2 years old now, but when we installed a doggie door he was about 8 months I'd say. We haven't had a problem since then with him peeing in the house. Well, my husband put new ceramic tile in our kitchen and dining room and just about every day, he will pee under our kitchen table. Today, he pee'd on my husbands work shoes when we locked the doggie door so he wouldn't go outside and pee on his tires.

2. IdeaMorphist profile image64
    IdeaMorphistposted 7 years ago

Use of a doggie door can take a long time in training if the dog did not have another to mimic, or show em the ropes so to speak. I would look up some youtube videos about training dogs to use the doggie door to see if you can find any new hints

3. Eve Foss profile image73
    Eve Fossposted 7 years ago

If  you are locking the doggie door so he won't go outside to do his business, your dog may be confused about where he should go. Had you previously been keeping the door unlocked so he had access whenever he needed?
    Another thing to consider is what you are using to clean the urine under the table. Getting a special cleaner that removes the enzimes works better than using a typical house cleaner or sanitizer. A dog urinates where it smells urine--and his sense of smell is so much stronger than a human's that he may be picking up that odor.
    Finally, if he has already gotten into the habit of using that area as a toilet, you may find it is a difficult habit to break. If you have no trouble with him having accidents in other parts of the house, you may need to block the area off so he has no access until he is out of that habit. This could take a month of keeping him out of the dining area.
    Good luck. Housetraining difficulties provide a special kind of frustration!

4. profile image47
    h_spragueposted 7 years ago

Yes, we always leave the doggie door open. Do you think that because we always leave the door open and we never finished house breaking him that he doesn't know how to "hold it"? Where would you recommend buying a special cleaner to get rid of the urine enzimes? Thank you so much for your help! Your reply was very helpful smile I

working