jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you react when someone says they own a PITBULL?

1. Mrs. J. B. profile image59
    Mrs. J. B.posted 7 years ago

How do you react when someone says they own a PITBULL?

2. camlo profile image89
    camloposted 7 years ago

Well, that would depend on who is telling me they own a pitbull.

3. OpeningTheDoor profile image54
    OpeningTheDoorposted 7 years ago

I can't really say I react in any particular way. I've worked in a dog grooming salon and dealt with many pit bulls. They can be really great dogs if trained and treated properly. A pit bull doesn't  automatically mean a bad dog. I've come across very bad dogs that weren't pit bulls, and had some damage done. Oddly enough I've never had any trouble from a pit bull. Any dog that is trained to fight, attack or just treated very badly can be extremely aggressive. Breed isn't everything, it does play a part but environment and training does too.

4. CrystalC profile image57
    CrystalCposted 7 years ago

I would ask what color their dog was.i have a brown pit,a white pit,a brindle pit and 3 pit/boxer/chow/rottweiler mixes.i would not have any other breed.my husband and I have rescued 3 pits from abusive environments.Our dogs are extremely intelligent and loving.In my opinion little dogs are way more aggressive than larger breeds.

5. whitney_185 profile image81
    whitney_185posted 7 years ago

Well I get to see this reaction all of the time because I have pitbull! Pitbull-mix, and I've had many people say very mean things. However, we adopted her for this reason (among others, of course) to show people it's all in how you take care of them. We just get back from the dog park and played with a Shar-pei, boston terrier, and another dog about her size. They were all a little timid at first, but they put on quite the show and were very entertaining! There were also kids there. And guess what, they weren't attacked! I love my dog, she's napping from exhaustion now. I think people should be more accepting towards them as a breed. They are just like all others.

6. ExpandYourMind profile image73
    ExpandYourMindposted 7 years ago

Unfortunately, this breed has acquired a bad rep.  However, even though I realize a pit does not a bad dog make, I am bit intimidated by the breed. Pits are built like tanks, and thus, can inflict a lot of damage so if one does attack, the entire breed gets painted with the same brush.

Any dog raised in a loving environment can be a gentle dog; any dog raised in a hostile environment can react with fear or aggression.

7. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 7 years ago

The same way that I do with anyone that says they have a dog. I tell them I have newfoundland dogs.