Do you think a 6 mo. male toy poodle, 9lb (rescue) is a poor match for our rambu

1. profile image47
    doggiemammaposted 7 years ago

Do you think a 6 mo. male toy poodle, 9lb (rescue) is a poor match for our rambunctious 42 lb. dog?

Our dog is a female poodle mix. From what we know about our dog and the poodle, they are both very social, lively and love to play, so they will probably get along well. What I'm concerned about is the fact that our Izzie is very rambunctious when playing (she's only 13 months and forgets herself) and I'm concern she might unknowingly hurt the toy poodle. The woman who is fostering the toy says he seems to really hold his own with her two standards, and that the little guy is pretty sturdy for a toy. We are going to meet him soon with our dog. Do you think this could be a poor match?

2. framistan profile image57
    framistanposted 7 years ago

I would not recommend placing these 2 dogs together unless the larger dog is calm and quiet.  I have had experience with placing a large energetic dog with our tiny 4 pound shi-tsu.  When we are at work, the large dog chases the small dog all day long!  The little dog just wants to lay down and relax, but it gets chased constantly.  The larger dog is only a few pounds larger, but that is enough to cause a problem.. Thankfully, this situation has gotten better now that the larger dog is about a year old.... but I wish i had not gotten the 2nd dog that is causing all the problems.

3. dana825 profile image57
    dana825posted 6 years ago

I think a dog intro is required. In the beginning, setting boundaries will be key. However, I've seen some of the weirdest pets become the best of friends.

working