jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you teach/train your dog to "speak" on command?

1. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

How do you teach/train your dog to "speak" on command?

2. Pamela Sarzana profile image60
    Pamela Sarzanaposted 6 years ago

I have not tried to teach our little dog Louie to "speak". I really don't want to encourage him to bark. He keeps me busy enough as it is.

There are many videos on Youtube pertaining to "speak" for your dog.

3. LittlePayday profile image60
    LittlePaydayposted 6 years ago

I would say hire a dog trainer or take your pup to a dog training class at petsmart or something.
    If you want to try and do it yourself I suggest using treats as rewards...it will take a lot of time unless your dog is a super genius smile

4. letscithappen profile image61
    letscithappenposted 6 years ago

I  found that a lot of people use their dogs favorite toy to teach them to speak. They hold the toy and ask the dog to speak. As the dog is getting excited the person says the word speak and coaches the dog by saying come on speak you want the toy come on speak most dogs will let out a bark. Don't with hold the toy for to long though or the dog will loose interest just a few minutes off and on each day will be fine, I wasn't able to get my dog to do it. She always went running to fetch it. I taught her how to fetch first, so that might have been why. Good luck to you and remember to praise your dog when he does the trick and not to get mad or punish the dog if he doesn't do the trick.