jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How smart are raccoons?

1. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 7 years ago

How smart are raccoons?

I heard they are smart enough to even pick locks!

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I can tell you how to build a raccoon trap; but I think trapping raccoons is sort of cruel.  The secret to the trap though is that they are attracted to shiny things, and instead of letting go of something, they'll just remain trapped. . . .so I guess they are greedy like Republicans and bankers then?

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

They are extremely intelligent, curious, and have amazing dexterity -- so yes, I can certainly see one being able to figure out how to pick a lock, especially if it saw the process a few times. I know they can undo about any type of latch, and it's about impossible to hide anything from them smile. The only thing I've ever been able to do to stump a raccoon is feed it a sugar cube. Be ready with some corn or something to replace the "disappearing" treat, though, because it's not nice to tease them tongue.

4. Simone Smith profile image93
    Simone Smithposted 7 years ago

Though you might think that humans are savvy enough to have everything under control, raccoons are clever creatures that are surprisingly difficult to thwart.  Below I'll share my personal raccoon experiences with you, as well as share some tips on raccoons and how to get rid of them. read more

5. doodlebugs profile image83
    doodlebugsposted 7 years ago

Raccoons are some of nature's smartest animals. I believe they are on par with grey parrots, dogs, dolphins, and chimps. I've matched wits with them over the years and usually they have won. Here's a hub I wrote about keeping raccoons out of my garden. http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Keep-Rac … our-Garden

working