jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do I stop my dog from digging in the backyard?

1. mybabytia1 profile image57
    mybabytia1posted 7 years ago

How do I stop my dog from digging in the backyard?

2. PR Morgan profile image60
    PR Morganposted 7 years ago

somebody told me this once and they said it worked.  It may sound a little rough but here it is.  Fill the hole with water take the dog over to it and push his face in the water for one second...don't waterboard him!  It will get some water and dirt up his nose, but I heard it worked...one second doesn't sound cruel to me.  I have never had that problem but I know it can be a pain.

3. armyjeni profile image57
    armyjeniposted 7 years ago

This is actually what I do and yes, it does work.  Fill the hole with your dogs poop.  Trust me, dogs don't like to dig in their own crap. Occassionally, my dogs will dig a hole next to the crap filled one, I fill most of the hole with dirt-the top portion with poop, and then a thin layer of dirt on top. Problem solved, they don't re-dig the hole.  It's the only thing I have found that actually stops them; oh, and its not harsh on the dog.

4. Puppyluv profile image73
    Puppyluvposted 7 years ago

There's a very simple solution.  Some dog breeds have an instinct to dig that's very hard to stop.  Put a little sandbox in the backyard and encourage your dog to dig there.  Hide toys in the sand and when he digs in it, praise him.  Eventually he'll get the point that this is an okay place to dig and because he finds cool things there, he'll want to dig in it.  Saves your yard!